Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished this beast. 68" interior wide, 9' tall and 18" deep. Replaced an existing a paint grade 'finish carpenter' built in. HO had a tight budget. Paint grade interior, which in the end looks good and flat panel doors.

Figured I'd share some of the nuts and bolts of the project.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Being a small job and for times sake choose to mill all the moldings. Would have spent more time on the internet, on the phone and driving around for the right pieces than the time it took to do it all in house.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
If you say you cut the tree down and milled those from actual logs I'm REALLY gonna be jealous. lol

Looks really nice.

You milled those on a router table or planer?

I never did anything like that.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Assembly of the fancy stuff. Doors are 1mm oak edge band. Face frames are Poplar, except where there is stained oak. All the columns and trims are knock down along with the cabinet

Attachments

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Going for clean lines at the paint stain transition. Got a roll of free paint grade edge band from a supplier. Used it here above the oak edge band. One those funky details and having to mask for paint :rolleyes: what can you do. I do like the PG edge band :thumbup:
Stained and top coated the oak, masked, and off to paint. Used the High Pressure Airless rig rather than Air powered ones. It's starting to warm up down here and it is PITA with over spray. The Airless is the best solution for this one.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Install went as expected. The bump out shelf was over a framed shelf. Discussion with HO during sale= there is probably wires running through that open area. HO- No there is not, look at the outlets, I'm sure there are not - I know 90% chance there were and was correct. Luckily the wires where sloppy loose and could easily be stapled, appropriately like they should have been.

Assembled pushed to monster in and out a few times. It was gut n tight. Figured 1/2" R.O. on all sides, just enough. Didn't put both circular saws in the truck. The left handed porter cable don't do right handed 45's to cut the column at the fireplace mantle. That's an extra hour I'll never get beck. Plunge cut with circ saw, set the bosch jig saw to 45, got the hand saw out... said the hell with all this crap. Back cut with coping saw and finished fitting with block plane. The face marble on the mantle bowed in an 1/8" of inch.

Pulled the tile, set new and thought it was all done but grout tomorrow

Attachments

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got the call ... HO's wife wants oak on the face where it's white.

Heavy sigh - No matter how hard one tries :rolleyes:

Easy fix only took a few hours all said and done. Not a painful extra :laughing:

Wants another entertainment center upstairs now too. :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you say you cut the tree down and milled those from actual logs I'm REALLY gonna be jealous. lol

Looks really nice.

You milled those on a router table or planer?

I never did anything like that.

Not this time :laughing:

Used the Shaper. Router table to me is a table with a router in it. Done that too... given the option, Shaper every time.

·
Ciaos mitigator
1,943 Posts
Looks good. I personally hate oak, but that color makes it look ok. It looks better with the oak on all the faces.
The bottom I would have made the doors taller to come up under the tv. Looks busy with all those squares. I see there are speakers so I suspect that's why. It's bad placement of the speakers also but that's a whole other thing.
I also agree about mounting the tv. Never looks right when sitting on a foot.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Appreciate the feedback!

This was an economy cabinet with a tight budget and very 'specific' Home Owner. Cost, Function, Design in that order and still to make my money.

He and his wife are ecstatic about this cabinet. It's a win.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts