Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Contractor
4,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
someone called and asked me about a $1500 energy rebate or credit for a new roof...has anyone heard of this?

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
for Metal roofs mostly and the few shingle products that qualify

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
Their are also certain discounts for asphalt roofs (last time I looked into it) but I think its only 3-tab shingles with white color.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Off the top of my head you can get up to a $1,500 total deduction. That's for your roof, appliances, what ever. $1,500 is the cap... so if you already bought a fridge and updated your ac unit you could be maxed out. So onto the roofing, some and only some products qualify. Guess what, those product will cost you at least $1,500 more than a normal 30 year roof. The good news is that the govt. basically pays the upcharge, and you supposedly expeirence a reduced energy cost for years to come. Is the reduced energy cost true? In theory sure. IN reality, I wouldn't bank on it.

We're selling the heck outta solar powered attic fans though.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Its on material cost (30% I think) They have changed the website but heres a start

http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=tax_credits.tx_index#c7
http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=roof_prods.pr_roof_products

I did several metal roofs this year and did some research in march, I had to seperate my invoice to show just the quilified materials in 1 area , non qualifieng ( trim, Gutters, flashing, and jacks) and labor seperate. I then had to supply a cert from the manufacturer to the customer that the material quilified.

If you go from a normal shingle to metal you will see alot lower attic temps Grumpy.....here in the sunny southwest it makes a big difference 9 cooling months out of the year LoL. Lower insurence as well

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
There are a bunch of shingles that qualify, but like Grumpy said they usually cost way more or are cheapo 3 tab white.

The credit is 30% or $1500 whichever is higher. It goes according to material cost PLUS mark up. This is where the scammers come in. Big companies........ (I won't mention) "window company that is around the world"....just takes the window price and doubles it. Then puts in the window "free". That way it looks like the window costs twice as much with a mark up. Bingo, energy credit.

I'd like to see someone actually receive some of this before I believe it. It will be very interesting what taxes look like at the end of the year.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Certainteed silver birch qualifies and is priced as a standard 30 year

·
Registered
40 Posts
Wow - Our state is offering $10,000 for rebates if you can bring you home up 5-points. Been good for small odd-in jobs ie window, doors, insulation ect. Heck I'm evening going to redo my own home with 4" of rigid insulation on the exterior of the house along with new siding.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts