Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys, hopefully the thread title somewhat makes sense. After a few months of my contractor blowing me off I decided to build my deck myself, as I worked construction for several years. Everything was going fine until I reached the rim and the end deck board is only on it by about 3/4". I was thinking about adding (2) 2x4s top and bottom to fir out the rim. Obviously there's not much weight out there and it would only be seen from underneath as it will be covered by composite fascia. Is this acceptable or considered "shoddy" work? Thanks for your help.

·
I like Green things
23,034 Posts
Next time don't cut your joists and set the rim until you are a few boards away.
I just can't see this as a viable way to build a deck. What do you tell the inspector when they come out for a framing inspection?

I start at the outside and work towards the house. A rip at the house looks better then one at the outside.

·
I like Green things
23,034 Posts
I don't cut my joists till I have 2 deck boards to go. I don't rip any decking, and it's perfectly straight.
So every deck is cantilevered over a beam and there is no patterns or perimeter boards on any deck you build?

What does the BI have to say about the framing not being complete?

I would have to pay for a re-inspection.

·
PCI
General Contracting
681 Posts
We don't have framing inspections per se on decks in MN. Footing (hole dug deep enough) and final.

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
We don't have inspections at all, and obviously if the decking is some sort of pattern that's not the case, but that isn't what we are talking about

·
topsail's trimcat
5,026 Posts
i always start with the 2nd board in actually, reason being i can snap a control line all the way down the lenght of the deck. from that i can measure to the posts what my notch has to be around the post.. then i do the outside board... after that i work in to the house

just this morning i got into an argument with a coworker about how to start off decking... he was trying to argue that we should simply butt the first board into the posts.. the thing is on this deck we had a double rim then the post.. had i done this we would have had a 2 1/2" overhang ... he was saying its better.. my rebuttal was that if you overhang it that much not only is it going to snap off but you cant properly nail hte board to keep it from cupping.. he still kept fighting what i was doing.... now mind you this worker doesnt understand technical things.. he just likes doing things the lazy way

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
i always start with the 2nd board in actually, reason being i can snap a control line all the way down the lenght of the deck. from that i can measure to the posts what my notch has to be around the post.. then i do the outside board... after that i work in to the house

just this morning i got into an argument with a coworker about how to start off decking... he was trying to argue that we should simply butt the first board into the posts.. the thing is on this deck we had a double rim then the post.. had i done this we would have had a 2 1/2" overhang ... he was saying its better.. my rebuttal was that if you overhang it that much not only is it going to snap off but you cant properly nail hte board to keep it from cupping.. he still kept fighting what i was doing.... now mind you this worker doesnt understand technical things.. he just likes doing things the lazy way
That describes 90% of the guys I've worked with... :laughing:

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
43,309 Posts
I just can't see this as a viable way to build a deck. What do you tell the inspector when they come out for a framing inspection?

I start at the outside and work towards the house. A rip at the house looks better then one at the outside.
Why do you need a framing inspection on a deck that has everything visible at final? My decks get two inspections footings and final.

As for starting, I do the same, I don't think a rip at the house looks bad, it looks as though it's going through the wall, if your rip is scribed decent.

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk

·
I like Green things
23,034 Posts
Why do you need a framing inspection on a deck that has everything visible at final? My decks get two inspections footings and final.

As for starting, I do the same, I don't think a rip at the house looks bad, it looks as though it's going through the wall, if your rip is scribed decent.

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk
Because if I don't call for a framing inspection they will red tag me.

Just how it is here. I have built several decks that you couldn't see any framing when it was done.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Hi guys, hopefully the thread title somewhat makes sense. After a few months of my contractor blowing me off I decided to build my deck myself, as I worked construction for several years. Everything was going fine until I reached the rim and the end deck board is only on it by about 3/4". I was thinking about adding (2) 2x4s top and bottom to fir out the rim. Obviously there's not much weight out there and it would only be seen from underneath as it will be covered by composite fascia. Is this acceptable or considered "shoddy" work? Thanks for your help.
Yes. Use 2x4 or even 2x2 if you pre-drill to furr out the band. Put the 2x4 vertically on the flat. and mount them every 16" like studs. Sandwiching wood isn't the best way. If you furr out the wood it will be able to breath better. Sandwiching wood outside traps moister and may cause a few different issues.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts