Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:rolleyes:Hi everyone out there!
I have one question, I'm a roofer and i'm working in Indiana and Chicago areas. Some of my customers have asked me to help them out filing their insurance claims to get their roof repaired, but the other day i received a call from this insurance carrier in particular asking for my Employer Identificacion Number. I almost gave it to this guy on the phone, but on a second thought i said to myself, since this number it is for taxes, and they pay direct to the homeowner, not to me, why should i give it to them. Has anyone heard of this requirement from an Insurances carrier? appreciate any comment or thoughts on this matter....Tx

·
Registered
301 Posts
If the check is in your name they will require it. It should be a written request and not over the phone. You will then have to send them a form with this number on it. They also may need it to verify you are a real business and not just the home owners buddy.

·
GC/carpenter
44,170 Posts
Joe-roofer said:
:rolleyes:Hi everyone out there!
I have one question, I'm a roofer and i'm working in Indiana and Chicago areas. Some of my customers have asked me to help them out filing their insurance claims to get their roof repaired, but the other day i received a call from this insurance carrier in particular asking for my Employer Identificacion Number. I almost gave it to this guy on the phone, but on a second thought i said to myself, since this number it is for taxes, and they pay direct to the homeowner, not to me, why should i give it to them. Has anyone heard of this requirement from an Insurances carrier? appreciate any comment or thoughts on this matter....Tx
Absolutely, this is why its important to use an IEN so you don't have to use your SSN for business related matters. The Insurance may need it to verify your a legitimate business that gave an estimate. However, to make sure it's really a legitimate insurance need, tell them you will respond to a letter for security reasons. I would not have a problem giving out my EIN over the phone though. It's not the same as a SSN that someone can use to steal your identity.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Not a problem at all and nor should you hesitate. I hope they didn't feel it was a red flag because you refused actually. If you are legit, which sounds like you are, you have nothing to worry about...

·
Hair Splitter
18,333 Posts
Absolutely, this is why its important to use an IEN so you don't have to use your SSN for business related matters. The Insurance may need it to verify your a legitimate business that gave an estimate. However, to make sure it's really a legitimate insurance need, tell them you will respond to a letter for security reasons. I would not have a problem giving out my EIN over the phone though. It's not the same as a SSN that someone can use to steal your identity.
Agreed!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, You guys are awesome and fast! Appreciate your opinion!
Just to clarify, the insurance pays the homeowners directly, i just help them with an storm date and then i do my job, thats why i didnt get the essue about my EIN since the insurance do not pay to me, but the homeowner does, with a personal check.
Tx again!
Joe

·
Registered
301 Posts
Another thing, you should be doing is giving out your Dunn & Bradstreet number not your EIN. If they make you a verified vendor it will help you in the future. By going through D&B that will happen.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
Have them mail you the form to fill out so they/you'll have a hard copy, then check their return address with the one you have on file or can look up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts