Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have employee's working for me that I can no seem to get to work any fast or even smarter. tey just come work the day and go home. Any sugestion to get these guys to take more pride in there work and do the job hey are etting payed to do? Can anybody ive me any suggestions?

John

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
Stop letting em do it. Are you the boss?
Take a stand and see if they think you are unreasonable.
Do you know for sure the job can be done better?
Give em a chance to step it up if it is possiible, and let em go if they do not seem to care.
"show" them that normally employees of this type of work, have a better output then what they are doing. Can you do that?

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
Pay Peicework

Pay them based on performance! Break the job down into pieces and only pay them for what they complete, and how well they complete it.
That way both the employee and employer can earn more.

Think of it like an auto mechanic. They get paid book hours. Maybe 1 hour for a break job... 8 hours for a valve job. They get paid on what they do and if the car comes back its on them to fix it.

What service does your business provide?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Nathan said:
Pay them based on performance! Break the job down into pieces and only pay them for what they complete, and how well they complete it.
That way both the employee and employer can earn more.
Paying for performance means someone still has to monitor the employee(s). Monitoring "how well they complete it" also requires extra work. So while it's part of the answer, it's not the complete solution.

If we don't want to be supervising employees all day, all the time, the employees need to feel that it's "their" job. However, having an employee "buy-in" and act as an "owner" would requires that the owners create the environment where this becomes possible. And that, my friends, is not easy to do. It's not that the techniques are very difficult or secret, it's that most owners cannot or will not do the things that allow employees enough room/scope to make the jobs their own.

For starters, every job has a "standard" which allows you to determine if the work was properly done or not. It is up to the owner to define what the standard is and how it is to be achieved.

Next, the workers must be trained to do it in the way the owner wants it done (the process). The owner must be sure that the workers understand how to do the work, and can do it reliably without constant supervision.

Next, the incentive must be there so that if the workers exceed the standard (better quality, higher output, better results), they get rewarded for their efforts.

If this is carried out, then usually the workers start finding better ways to get things done. This leads to the next step, where they they are ready to start changing the process. The wise owner figures out how to reward them for this as well, so they have incentive to make things go faster and better.

People are not dumb. Many will put in the effort if they believe they will be better off (more money, more freedom, more opportunity). However, if they are members of the subset that truly just don't care, fire them and let someone deserving take the job on. Life is too short to play baby-sitter to your employees.

I've built and supervised many work-teams over the past 30+ years. In the best ones, management told us where to go, and then got out of the way before we trampled them. The smart ones rewarded us handsomely, and got even more output with every turn of the crank. The dumb ones said thank you very much, now go away - and we did.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Pay the foreman, if not you, a nice salary and explain ********************s ups HE fixes for free. Now pay the other installers by the job, not by the hour. This will pick up performance BUT a better suggestion is to convince them to take pride in their work. Also educate them. Ask your suppliers if the manufacturers have any upcoming seminars. These seminars are usually very cheap or free, and if you do pay for travel etc it's all tax write offable.

Standards of quality are a must. Distribute these standards to all of your guys. Explain that this is what you expect of each job.

Continuing education is important.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts