Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys have to say about your own guys on the clock remodeling your house?
I'm about to do just that and would like to see what other experiences you may have had doing that. Good or bad

·
Service & Repairs
4,001 Posts
I had that happen once to me as an employee and I didn't like one bit. Guys are gonna get on me for this but I am an electrician, not a mason, or a gutter leaf remover, nor am I a basement renovator. I thought I was being taken advantage of by my boss and my attitude proved it.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I guess if they're working within their skill set...

...and you don't mind them eye-f***ing your wife, daughter, or dog. :blink:

Then hey...why not?

·
Banned
538 Posts
I had that happen once to me as an employee and I didn't like one bit. Guys are gonna get on me for this but I am an electrician, not a mason, or a gutter leaf remover, nor am I a basement renovator. I thought I was being taken advantage of by my boss and my attitude proved it.
i hear that. i spent quite a few days weeding one of my bosses huge gardens, mowed his lawn, cleaned company trucks and his personal trucks including his wifes. i even friggin shoveled his horses **** once. so much loyalty cuz now i dont work there anymore. i'll never go out of my way like that for a boss again.

·
I like Green things
23,069 Posts
i hear that. i spent quite a few days weeding one of my bosses huge gardens, mowed his lawn, cleaned company trucks and his personal trucks including his wifes. i even friggin shoveled his horses **** once. so much loyalty cuz now i dont work there anymore. i'll never go out of my way like that for a boss again.
Did your whining ass get paid for all of that?

If so, why do you care?

·
Registered
129 Posts
agreed its ok as long as its not a big jump like plumber to laying tile or something.

The two guys I have dont care what it is if there getting paid.

I mean I offered to clean my house and do my dishes and there like HOW MUCH?

Im like im not that lazy haha

·
Licensed, Bonded & Insur
442 Posts
I once painted a house for a pond builder. I would watch his guys mow his yard, weed, wash cars. During the process they one by one came up to me telling me how they were going to paint the house. Bitching and complaining cause they are not getting the hours.
WTF. I don't give a shiz. Get back to trimming the bushes.
I have had guys do painting on my house that's it. I don't think I would want them doing much more than that.

·
Registered
895 Posts
id do it but your gonna pay me the same wage i always get ,, wich is up to you hire a kid for 10 bucks n hour to rake your yard or ill do it for my normal wage , but it dont make any sense when you could hire some kid for less. and there is a limit to what id do ..... as my original price was based on certain work ...... cleaning your toilet costs more than a shake muhomad trial attorneys gonna cost. the choice is yours though.:thumbsup:

·
Banned
538 Posts
Did your whining ass get paid for all of that?

If so, why do you care?
why do i care? gee i dont know, i signed up for carpentry and construction. i took the job because i wanted to learn as much as i could from him. if i wanted to do landscaping and horse manure clean up i'd go find a job doing that.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I just realized some of you guys are assuming stuff. I seriously doubt Gus will have his shop guys do yard work.

·
Banned
538 Posts
I just realized some of you guys are assuming stuff. I seriously doubt Gus will have his shop guys do yard work.
if i was asked to carpentry/painting at a bosses house i'd have zero problem what so ever doing it. i'd actually enjoy it since if i F up its not a customers house and wont cost him too much of anything. plus i would probably learn much more since he could show me a thing or two, and not have to worry about a deadline.

but when im doing chores around his house that he's just too lazy to do, yeah, i get irritated. if a boss needs help movin somethin, or if its just a slow day here and there and he is just having me do something to keep me busy for that day then whatever. i'm always the kind of guy to go the extra mile if needed and ultimately i do appreciate any work. but when my entire week consists of fruity little chores, i'm gonna get very annoyed.

·
I like Green things
23,069 Posts
why do i care? gee i dont know, i signed up for carpentry and construction. i took the job because i wanted to learn as much as i could from him. if i wanted to do landscaping and horse manure clean up i'd go find a job doing that.
I'd slap that shovel right across your face with that f up boss trip you got. And I'd tell a boss to pond sand if he wanted me to scoop up horse shizzy.

No thankfullness at all.

If you were being paid what you were supposed to be, what does it make a bit of difference.

If some wants to pay me to shovel horse crap and pay me what I am worth, I will do it.

Freemason, you were just complaining about not having any work and had to go find a job selling cars or something, and you are bitching about doing some chores for a boss and getting paid for it??

Grow up lady's, its called work not charity.

·
Licensed, Bonded & Insur
442 Posts
Nothing like valuing your skilled tradesman by having the clean the horse stalls.
Haveing emplyees is one of the perks to of having them when times are slow. Only if it was in that ones trade. I don't know how a boss coulkd even ask such a thing

·
I like Green things
23,069 Posts
Nothing like valuing your skilled tradesman by having the clean the horse stalls.
Haveing emplyees is one of the perks to of having them when times are slow. Only if it was in that ones trade. I don't know how a boss coulkd even ask such a thing
Would you rather sit on your ass at home because your boss did not have any work lined up for a few days, or would you rather help him out and do some stuff around his house and be getting paid for it?

Some of the work attitudes/ethics around this place baffle me.

Sounds like you would be the first person they should lay off.

Appreciate every opportunity you get paid for.

1 - 20 of 141 Posts