Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's your method? Ours isn't the best I'm sure. They are supposed to do a daily time card that we plug in for their hours, and also the foreman is to do a daily time sheet. Where he will write his time at the job, work performed, and any extras. This seems to be moderately effective for us.

Does anyone have any experience with gps based time cards, a traditional punch in punch out (this would be hard for us, our employees take home our vehicles). Anything I'm missing out on?

·
We Put Poles In Holes
206 Posts
I was pointed towards Tsheets by another member here. Its online based with apps for smartphones. I pay $20/month plus $5 per employee. I started with their 14 day trial and by the end of day 2 I saw what it was going to do for me as far as tracking hours on each specific job. Makes my job cost analysis very easy to do.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
T sheets for 2 years now, I pay $60/month and have always looked for a better option, but haven't seen anything close yet.

I can save more than $60/month just on eliminating the "rounding off" that used to happen.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also what made you guys get started on this? I'm a believer but my Dad thinks it's just another expense... Have you hooked yours up to quickbooks?

·
We Put Poles In Holes
206 Posts
With these Tsheets do the employees have to have smart phones?
They do not have to have smartphones, but using the texting option is another add-on. Personally I have one employee that does not have a smartphone, but I have him set up on "my crew" so I can clock him in. He rides with me to work so that works for us.

I started using this so I could keep track of my hours applied to each job specifically a lot easier.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Some guys just phone in, so any cell phone can work.

I have not linked to QB yet, but they have a tutorial showing it, look straight forward.

I am considering this feature so they can "T-in" to a customer and choose a project that corresponds to QB.

Have your dad add up all the rounding off in a week times the number of employees and he will see the savings...I have 6 on the system, assume they all round off by just 5 minutes a day, that is 25 minutes a week times 6 guys, 2.5 manhours per week, or over 10 manhours per month.

Do a free trial, you will like it

·
Registered
219 Posts
I use Exak time. It works very well. I use the pocket clock version of their system. It does sync with Quickbooks as well. I do a lot of prevailing wage work were some of my guys make 60 bucks per hour. So 15 mins here and there adds up quick.

Also if you check them out and decide to go with them give them my name as they give referrals

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
I've used Exak Time for 7 or 8 years now. If I didn't have it I'd probably use TSheets. Whatever system you choose, it will save you money, which you can give out in the much more effective form of raises and bonuses if you want.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We too are in the construction business and every end of the week we have to pay the wages. And that is calculated in terms of the hours worked by an employee or labor. So we have deployed the hours tracker from Replicon ( http://www.replicon.com/olp/hours-tracking-software.aspx ) in our office that tracks every single hour of the employee worked and helps us evaluate the payment to be released for that particular employee. Upon deploying this there is no complaint of managing the payment as everything is automated.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Some guys just phone in, so any cell phone can work.

I have not linked to QB yet, but they have a tutorial showing it, look straight forward.

I am considering this feature so they can "T-in" to a customer and choose a project that corresponds to QB.

Have your dad add up all the rounding off in a week times the number of employees and he will see the savings...I have 6 on the system, assume they all round off by just 5 minutes a day, that is 25 minutes a week times 6 guys, 2.5 manhours per week, or over 10 manhours per month.

Do a free trial, you will like it
What if they round up by a minute? What will that save you?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts