Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys allow as far as texting and phone use on the job by employees? It seems texting is the current rage and it is distracting even annoying. My last helper would make 5-10 texts a day and take calls whenever his phone rang. I'm just about to the point of banning any cell phone on the job except for mine.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
What do you guys allow as far as texting and phone use on the job by employees? It seems texting is the current rage and it is distracting even annoying. My last helper would make 5-10 texts a day and take calls whenever his phone rang. I'm just about to the point of banning any cell phone on the job except for mine.
I'm pretty lax, I tell people I don't care if they take a call or respond to a quick text but I don't want to see their face stuck to a phone when there is work to be done.

·
Super Moderator
11,937 Posts
My last helper also couldn't concentrate because of the phone, texting etc.

I'm a one man show again.

I do need help but I am trying to figure out a balance so I will be curious what the others say on this one.

Then the entire dilemma of trying to find help that will actually work.:rolleyes:

·
Master of none.
85 Posts
Texts and calls are well....It depends. A few texts are one thing, but if its every 10 minutes there is a problem. 5-10 a DAY, meaning an 8 hour day is very low compared a few sites Ive seen. they were more like 5-10 every 30-60 minutes... A 2 or 5 minute call is fine, but once again, not every 10 minutes. If they take a call or 2 fine, just as long as its not digging into time, like an hour long call because they need to go shopping after work and dont forget the milk...

·
Master of none.
85 Posts
Then again, If I get a text Ill look and if its not important I leave it til later. A phone call is always answered unless Im in the middle of something that needs my undivided attention. I was even that way when I was on a crew. But my calls are simple, if its not work related or truly important my response is Working, Ill call ya later.

·
Super Moderator
11,937 Posts
My opinion is personal cell phones stay in your lunch bucket or the truck. You can check it at break or lunch.
That's kind of the way I am trying to write this policy before hiring another 20 something to make it clear when hiring. I get the comfort of having that phone around in case of emergency, but usually it's just garbage coming from the "better half"....whatchya doing?? :no:

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
Just like you can't watch TV on the job, you shouldn't be spending time texting when you're being payed to do a job. The only time a call is acceptable is if you're on the phone with local lumber yard, etc.

·
The Dude
2,019 Posts
I don't have the time, nor the patience to deal with some slack-ass idiot yapping with his buddies, or texting his girlfriend all day.

Reactions: Fouthgeneration

·
The Dude
2,019 Posts
That's kind of the way I am trying to write this policy before hiring another 20 something to make it clear when hiring. I get the comfort of having that phone around in case of emergency, but usually it's just garbage coming from the "better half"....whatchya doing?? :no:
Phone policy: If I see it in your hand, it's getting thrown into the toilet. THAT ought to get their attention!

·
Super Moderator
27,607 Posts
Depends on who it is to be honest. A lead guy? He is a lead for a reason, and they are productive. I will not belittle them by bringing it up if they answer a text or call. Its never been an issue.

A regular hand, or ditch digger? Rarely an issue after the first few days.

Rank has its priveliges. My guys are treated much better than I was as an apprentice, for sure.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,937 Posts
This question isn't unique to the construction industry; it's endemic to all workplaces including the cubicle people. Pretty hard to outlaw it altogether.

Bottom line isn't so much whether the guy is "wasting time"--more a case of whether he's earning his hourly pay. Tough call sometimes, especially when there are multiple guys of varying ability who will tend to copy the practice.

It's going to happen whether you like it or not, and is probably more likely to happen with your best guys (who have a tad of independence).

·
Trees are Cool
195 Posts
I have a family and need to coordinate pickup and drop off with the kids. Also job calls come in and I have to take them. When my wife calls on her break, if I am busy i say I am busy. If I can chat I talk for a minute. If you chat about nothing then no go. We all have lives to live beyond work but there are limits too.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I've been told several times, the co. pays for my phone so answer it. I tend to leave it in the van.

If my wife calls to talk about the broken dryer or something , call ya later

We've got a pretty good group most guys leave in their cars , check them at lunch, not gone ride a guy if its minimal, but if you see him every 10 mins walking to the car, it's a problem.

Coming up , worked for a guy , who preached " Phone Time On Your Own Time"

·
PCI
General Contracting
680 Posts
It's different for different people. My main guy has three kids and needs to be in contact with them. I never worry about his phone usage.

Two helper though, If mommy calls she needs to call me.

Expectations set up at the get go!

Don't get me wrong, if helpers want to carry there phone it is more than ok. They need to become men and tustworhy. They just have to be sure the call is an emergency (in my eyes).

·
Registered
786 Posts
i always have my phone on me cause the boss will call regading jobs,texts il check but wont reply,if the wife calls i just stick the phone between my ear and muffs and talk while i work but its kept short and to the point.Id like to see anyone try to throw my phone down the toilet or even try ban me from carrying it...thats ridiculous!

·
The Dude
2,019 Posts
i always have my phone on me cause the boss will call regading jobs,texts il check but wont reply,if the wife calls i just stick the phone between my ear and muffs and talk while i work but its kept short and to the point.Id like to see anyone try to throw my phone down the toilet or even try ban me from carrying it...thats ridiculous!
That's different from the guys I'm talking about :laughing:

I was working with this one doofus ... his dad called (his dad won't get off the phone, and the guy won't hang up talking small talk BS). I finished pumping gas, and the guy was standing around outside with a dazed look on his face talking on the phone. I signaled him to get the fk in the truck and talk while on the way. I gave him 2-3 minutes while I got my stuff together. He didn't get in so I started the truck. Then he started giving me these "WTF can't you see I'm on the phone" looks ... so I left his ass at the gas station.

The same guy earlier on this job - I needed him to perform a simple repetetive task. Every 2 minutes it was "Oh hold on a minute ... it'll just be a minute" Ok sure - I needed a break anyway - but 20 minutes later and he's still fking with that damn phone?

And he's not the first one. I have "the talk" with them first. If you're going to be on the phone all the time find a way to get paid to bs with people - be a phone psychic or something, but if you piss me off with that stupid phone ONE MORE TIME your phone is getting airborne and I hope after a 25' drop it hits the concrete and lands in the pool.

Basically if somebody's bs'ing with their buddies I signal them to get the fk off. If they give me the "hold on a minute" bs - especially with an attitude ... I hope you paid for the good insurance on it.

·
Lazy Millennial
Carpenter
4,014 Posts
I always have my phone on me. In fact it's expected. I take business calls and texts all the time. Personal calls and texts at lunch.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

·
The Dude
2,019 Posts
I'm going to assume they have something in NZ we've lost here in the states - work ethic. I don't have a problem in the world with somebody using the phone. I have a problem with some idiot holding me up on a 2 man job - we're setting rafters, and it's more important to them to talk to their girlfriend about what's going on next friday??? Into the drink!

1 - 20 of 65 Posts