Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just curious if anyone here has a handbook/rule book for there employees?
I am a small builder and am looking at cracking down on employee slacking off like when I am not at the job site they have time to post on Facebook etc....
Also maybe if anyone has productivity bonus ideas?
Thanks for the help

·
Registered
514 Posts
OP- The US Forest Service actually has a great handbook for companies. A link has been posted in the "file swap" section. It askes a questionare first, like your rules on vacation days or if smoking is allowed, then it creates a custom employee handbook for your company.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
I hate the concept of employee handbooks for the sole purpose of beating employees over their heads with the rules and regs.

LOL A few other problems with written documentation

1. Can they read it, will they?
2. If they can can they comprehend?
3. If they comprehend can they retain it?
4. Do they even care?
5. The ones doing contrary things - this piece of paper generally means little or nothing.

It's a management task to set and enforce boundaries. The "hand Book" is there to define boundaries and expectations. For both the employee and and employer. Slacking off and the cell phone crap requires a human being present (span of control so to speak). There should be direct supervision on site, in the form of a responsible lead man, to "guide" :whistling those who don't get it. Then you as the employer can swoop in and start the scorched earth campaign or let a responsible lead be the bad a$$ and eliminate:eek: the poor behavior from the crew :thumbup:

·
Registered
Custom
13,226 Posts
Setting performance expectations will do more to curb that problem than a handbook that they will read once and still ignore...

"Guys, you can fart around all day on your phone on facebook, but this is our schedule (laid out in advance) and the only way we can keep all of you employed is if it is met. The numbers don't work any other way"...

Performance bonuses start to be looked at as compensation over time, but for larger projects, we tell our guys if they are done early, they get to leave early, but if they stay and finish the project early and it comes in under schedule, they get $X amount per day we come in under or they can bank an extra day of PTO...

Doesn't always work, but pretty effective in keeping us on schedule... time off or extra pay are pretty good incentive... but it puts the focus where it should be... on the work....

·
Metal Stud Framer
180 Posts
Give them a quota.

I use to figure out a production rate, how many ln ft do we need to frame to make $. When I figured it out I'd add 30 or so ft. and tell the guys if they hit that mark they can go home with 8.

I've been given jobs to run where the company gave me all the problem children but after I figured out a production rate and let the guys leave when they hit it I had people coming to work early and blasting out work to the point I was 3 weeks ahead of schedule on one job.

Give them a daily goal to hit and when they hit it they can FB all they want.

·
Board&Pipe Stretcher
47 Posts
I've tried many, many things to encourage better production on jobsites and have found that the above is the best. Once you get it through that fckups will be tacked on to the next days production things start to run pretty smoothly.

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
Give them a quota.

I use to figure out a production rate, how many ln ft do we need to frame to make $. When I figured it out I'd add 30 or so ft. and tell the guys if they hit that mark they can go home with 8.

I've been given jobs to run where the company gave me all the problem children but after I figured out a production rate and let the guys leave when they hit it I had people coming to work early and blasting out work to the point I was 3 weeks ahead of schedule on one job.

Give them a daily goal to hit and when they hit it they can FB all they want.
Although I like this approach I have also seen it cause careless errors as employees rush to get the work done because they know they will be allowed to leave early.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the answers,
Fired the first one for using the phone during work hours posting facebook
One more quit and now things seem to be calming down. Hope this settles the phone issue.
Again thanks

·
Banned
2,247 Posts
Company policies

I have a Company Policy book that each employee receives. Regardless, of whether or not they read the book it is a terrific tool to use when an employee violates a policy. The policies include the time to report to work, how to perform work tasks, use of the customer's restrooms, vehicles, pay commissions, when to turn in payroll, how, when they will be paid, etc. We often refer to the policy book during morning meetings.

·
Registered
349 Posts
pcplumber said:
I have a Company Policy book that each employee receives. Regardless, of whether or not they read the book it is a terrific tool to use when an employee violates a policy. The policies include the time to report to work, how to perform work tasks, use of the customer's restrooms, vehicles, pay commissions, when to turn in payroll, how, when they will be paid, etc. We often refer to the policy book during morning meetings.

I had to sign a paper stating I received it and read it. I've thumbed through it. Lots of gems in it. Very similar to what's in yours. Lots O co. policy. Seems like more stuff gets added every year.

Usually comes into play when someone's a habitual screw- up. When they get canned, I think my employer can dispute unemployment. There's a documented, written record of violations.

In our employee handbook, it states that the employee must make him or herself available from 7 am to 10pm. Mon thru Fri. We typically get our marching orders via text nightly and our handbook says if no text, call etc. be at shop by 7. Day after X- mas we didn't work, we had one guy show up at 7, because no call or text. Apparently he was the only one who read the whole damned thing. He worked an hour and headed home. We all got our shots in on him the next day, when we heard.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I know here you have to have the employee sign each time you note a violation, or unemployment won't even look at it.
It's the same for giving out handbooks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
OP- The US Forest Service actually has a great handbook for companies. A link has been posted in the "file swap" section. It askes a questionare first, like your rules on vacation days or if smoking is allowed, then it creates a custom employee handbook for your company.
Does this still work? Got a strange error message when I tried to submit it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts