Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sooo today we were doing a some tile demo in a customers basement. I set up one of my best guys and left for another job. When I came back a few hrs later he was so drunk he could barley walk. He went into the customers basement bar. I still can not believe this happened with him. Never had a problem with him and he is one of the hardest workers I have ever had. He has been with me for almost 4 years. What should I do ? not sure if I could ever trust him again. Thank god customer was not home today and by the way a job that should of taken about 9 hrs to do he had it done in about 5 hrs lol Thanks for your help

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts
Option 1: Take him home. Give him his last check & fire him.

Option 2: Take him outside & call the law enforcement guys & have him arrested for drunk in public. When he gets out of the drunk tank give him his last check & fire him.

You can not afford this type of liability financially or professionally.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Option 1: Take him home. Give him his last check & fire him.

Option 2: Take him outside & call the law enforcement guys & have him arrested for drunk in public. When he gets out of the drunk tank give him his last check & fire him.

You can not afford this type of liability financially or professionally.
Should he pay him double time since he finished it so fast? :laughing:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hahaha i'm going to can him tomorrow morning. Just shows you cant trust anyone. Cant wait to hear what he has to say to me tomorrow.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I had a guy get a DUI when I sent him on an out of town job. I had to go get my truck out of impound, go do the job and all when I didn't have time to do any of those things.
I could not believe that he bailed himself out and showed up for work on Monday. I guess some people just need to hear "You're FIRED!"

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts
I don't know man, 4 years of good service making you money.

That's a hard call to make I think.

Everyone falls down now and again but it would be difficult to weight that against getting drunk on the job site.

Andy.
But, he also stole from the clients.

Either behavior is unacceptable.

·
Hair Splitter
18,333 Posts
The largest problem is that he stole from the customers home. Not acceptable.
I might not fire a guy for showing up intoxicated or getting that way on the job, maybe a short time out. We all make mistakes, but you hit the nail on the head. This is what would get him the boot up the arse faster than a knife fight in a phone booth.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Document it. Write him a termination letter saying why you're firing him. Write yourself a dated memo describing the situation. As a human being you might be interested in his explanation, but as an employer and business owner his explanation is irrelevant.

If there's any chance the customer will figure out that the bar got used, you need to explain what happened - no details, just that the employee had a drink from the bar; it had never happened before; you had no reason to think that he would do that (else you wouldn't have let the employee in their house); and the guy doesn't work for you any more. The details and anything more are none of the customer's business. I've had something similar happen; I talked to the homeowner, and it kept a bad situation from getting worse.

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
6,469 Posts
I think you need to fire him, no doubt. And you need to replenish the clients booze, discreetly if need be.

But I think if this is so completely out the blue, like it sounds like you feel, you might want to find out if there is some personal tragedy that would cause such an extreme breach of trust and etiquette.

It's posible that you can be of some help to him personally, if not professionally.

·
Head Light Bulb Changer
847 Posts
As a human being you might be interested in his explanation, but as an employer and business owner his explanation is irrelevant.
It really sucks having to make that distinction. To me that's one of the hardest business decisions to make.

If he's been with you 4 years. something has changed in his life. Are you willing to help him figure it out? Don't get me wrong - you steal from a client and YOU ARE GONE. And IN JAIL if I have any say in it. I DO NOT tolerate thieves. A client having absolute trust in you is an invaluable asset that can not be bought for ANY price. I have so many client's keys I have a hard time keeping track of them :clap:

·
1,745 Posts
It's a crime, and it's a betrayal of the incredible trust that homeowners extend to a contractor.
Booze or a pepsi, you don't touch the HO's stuff.

I think you need to fire him, no doubt. And you need to replenish the clients booze, discreetly if need be.

But I think if this is so completely out the blue, like it sounds like you feel, you might want to find out if there is some personal tragedy that would cause such an extreme breach of trust and etiquette.

It's posible that you can be of some help to him personally, if not professionally.
Replace yes, after you tell HO you encountered the incident, and remedied the situation.

After some much time working for you, you have to ask why? Especially if this has never been a problem before.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts