Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 140 Posts

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reviewing the employee manual this weekend to see if any changes might be in order. I was comparing mine to some stock texts to see how I measured up. I've been particularly distressed about the attire of some of the service guys. The construction guys don't matter as much, but I believe it's important for the service department to look sharp. I found this stock text, with respect to pants, that really got me to laugh.

"Pants may not be baggy or sag away from the body. Crotch of pants must fit at the natural crotch. Bottom of pants may not extend past the bottom of the shoe. Pants must be worn at the natural waist. Belts are not required, however, if necessary a belt or suspenders will need to be worn to keep pants at the natural waist. Belts should not extend more than 6" from buckle."

·
Repair/Remodeling Tech.
1,645 Posts
I agree with all but the 6" beyond the buckle part. Hell sometimes my own belt is more than 6" beyond the buckle, with weight changes in the summer especially. I'm not going to buy a new belt every time that happens.

THAT SAID:

I DOOOOO see the humor that you were getting at :cheesygri , and I do also see the intent of what they have there.

·
...jammin
5,234 Posts
I have that posted over my front door
I highly recommend it if you have teenagers

·
Housewright & Woodwright
106 Posts
Any young guys I hire don't wear the "Homie" pants and I don't allow shorts either, unless it's a hot summer roofing job.

Personally, I don't think that shorts are appropiate on a job where the customer is present.

I don't like the look of a "uniform" either. To me, it's to stiff and rigid of a look. I specify to my subs and day laborers that they regular fitting jeans and I give them a T-shirt with my logo on it that they can keep after they are done working for me.

It's free advertising for me, and it looks like I have a huge staff. I always hear guys at the lumber yard and hardware saying "hey I saw one of your guys today" (cause there wearing my shirt!} :cheesygri

As far as the belt situation. I don't care what length their belt is as long as it holds there pants up! Hell, my belt is a 7' latigo off a saddle, so the slip end warps around to the back of me.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I'm babysitting a job for one of our superintendents on vacation. It's an elementary school set in a twenty acre grading and pipe site. The plumber wears company t-shirts, bright orange with "Safety First" printed on the back. The grading contactor has their laborers wearing day-glo lime colored t-shirts.

I like the oportunity the plumber took to make a statement he thought was important. You may want it to say "Quality" on the back, or even "Git 'er done!", lol!

The grading contractor was just interested in high visibility of his workers to reduce accidents, not to mention the other benefits of high visibility on a big and/or crowded jobsite.

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When I first saw the new generation of lime green/day glow whatever safety tee shirts, I swore those things must come with batteries! It's amazing how bright some of the latest safety colors of tee shirts are. I gave out tee shirts once upon a time to guys on jobs. Trouble is, some guys feel the overwhelming need to cut the sleeves off or mutillate them into tank tops. Even though I gave them away and they were no longer mine, it still got my goat.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
NO SHORTS? An edict like that could get me lynched. I'd have to buy Cruex by the caseload. LOL
Down here, shorts are perfectly fine almost everywhere and people that wear long pants in the summer are noticed with curiosity or sympathy. The City of Stuart even passed an ordinance banning jackets and ties during the summer.

·
"Buy Quality, Cry Once"
726 Posts
Yeah Teetor I tried the shorts thing but the guys started trying to sneak by with the cut off jeans with strings hanging all over them, so I nipped it. If they would wear some tan or white shorts I wouldnt care.

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't have a written "no shorts" rule, but there is an unspoken rule as such. I think that in my line of work, safety and productivity might be effected by the wearing of shorts. Crawling across attics on the tops of the ceiling joists, crawling in crawl spaces and under mobile homes, constant kneeling on all types of surfaces, etc. All of these things are best done while wearing long pants in my opinion. If a guy told me that he just can't stand the summers without wearing shorts, I would say that's fine as long as they are originally manufactured as work shorts. No hot pants, no cutoffs, no jogging shorts, no lounging shorts, no basketball shorts, etc. D!ckies, Carrhartt, Wear Gaurd, etc. all make neat and professional looking work shorts. If one of my guys had to wear shorts at work, I'd encourage something along these lines. Knee pads would end up being a requirement for many tasks while wearing shorts. I did have a female employee who's religious convictions required that she wear a skirt. We compromised and she wore koulottes, but she didn't work for me long anyhow.

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ProWallGuy said:
Was she ever required to climb a ladder?
Bob told me to ask that. :cool:
Therein lies the problem. You would have been seriously malfunctioning to want a peek at this gal's bloomers, I must say.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Pro, you're starting to sound like Bob.
md, attics here can easily hit over 120* and the human body can not take that for very long. I once did a job where the temp was just under 150*, it took 3 of us working in shifts of about 5 mins. 95* felt like A/C when you came out.
Sportif cargo shorts are the most popular here. They are mid length and worn by everyone but golfers who wear those hideous plaid, knee length, Bermuda thingies.
In response to females on the jobsite. We are first and foremost animals. As such our first instinct is survival, being aware of our surroundings and possible threats. Second is reproduction, pursuit of the opposite sex. These drives can vary greatly in individuals and circumstances. They are lampooned all of the time on TV. The basis behind that is real. I can't hire a Baywatch babe, no matter how talented in her profession because of the reaction of the rest of the crew, due to their response. Anyone who has gone through this will know what I mean. I currently hire 3 women who work in the field and if Bob were really desperate he MIGHT give one a go. Until we evolve into the era of 'The Time Machine', that's the way that it is going to be. That had its faults as well.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Knee pads would end up being a requirement for many tasks while wearing shorts. I did have a female employee who's religious convictions required that she wear a skirt.
Uhhhhh.....I can resist.

Look guys, OSHA is clear on this. Truth is, most of your guys just want to look cool. For example, no matter how stupid earrings look on a man, you can't convince them it also fails to make them look cool. Looking cool is another reason American workers suck. Thank our popular culture for that, which is controlled by a media machine bent on destoying us from within by slow decay. So slow you forget how important your appearance is. Slow enough that most of you forgot how hard you should work. Slow enough you all forgot appreciation. Slow enough you all forgot what real hardship is. Slow enough you all forgot what life is for.

I never felt more alive than when the pressure of the world was felt on my shoulders and I thought my heart would fail if I turned it up another click. I dressed the way my boss said to, and turned it up. When it's 90 degrees and 100% humidity in the SouthEast, it don't make a sh*t what you wear, it's hot. I think residential workers look gay in their shorts and sneakers. You look like it's a part-time job. You look like slackers.

You MAKE them abide by a dress code. If they don't like it, hire a Hispanic to replace them. They don't whine about it. They don't wear ***** jewelry.

When you are away from work, go ahead and advertise your individuality. But when an employer is paying you for your time, then you should be willing to drop your personal statement and advertise for him. The one who is paying you. If you disagree, ask yourself, why do you work for someone you care not for his success? Be real and quit, elsewise, show some respect.

·
Housewright & Woodwright
106 Posts
GCMan wrote
"Look guys, OSHA is clear on this. Truth is, most of your guys just want to look cool. For example, no matter how stupid earrings look on a man, you can't convince them it also fails to make them look cool. Looking cool is another reason American workers suck. Thank our popular culture for that, which is controlled by a media machine bent on destoying us from within by slow decay. So slow you forget how important your appearance is. Slow enough that most of you forgot how hard you should work. Slow enough you all forgot appreciation. Slow enough you all forgot what real hardship is. Slow enough you all forgot what life is for.

I never felt more alive than when the pressure of the world was felt on my shoulders and I thought my heart would fail if I turned it up another click. I dressed the way my boss said to, and turned it up. When it's 90 degrees and 100% humidity in the SouthEast, it don't make a sh*t what you wear, it's hot. I think residential workers look gay in their shorts and sneakers. You look like it's a part-time job. You look like slackers.

You MAKE them abide by a dress code. If they don't like it, hire a Hispanic to replace them. They don't whine about it. They don't wear ***** jewelry.

When you are away from work, go ahead and advertise your individuality. But when an employer is paying you for your time, then you should be willing to drop your personal statement and advertise for him. The one who is paying you. If you disagree, ask yourself, why do you work for someone you care not for his success? Be real and quit, elsewise, show some respect.
TOUCHE CGMAN!!

You sure hit that nail right on the head.....DIRECT HIT!! :Thumbs:

I see it all the time. People don't worry about the job their doing, they are worrying about how they look doing that job.

We need to wake up people!

·
Pro Painter
2,314 Posts
Alas, the rabbit hole goes deeper still. Here in America, the culture has become so absorbed in itself, that our freedoms are being swiped right out from under us. I fear we are headed towards a corporate run police state in short order. Nobody even cares to pay attention to what is really going on in our country and the world around us...let alone try to decipher for one's self what it all means. Our nation's children are educated by a system that was PURPOSELY designed to churn out a majority of working class people. Our history books don't tell the true story of the patriots who stood AGAINST thier own government, not blindly beside it. Anything that doesn't fit what the government run media tells the public is violently opposed. We lost nearly 10,000 people in the WTC (not 3,000 that was LATER reported), and have lost close to the same amount in Iraq which has nothing to do with the so called "terrorists".....What is happening today is far more significant than watergate was, and nobody is even questioning the validity of the blatantly misleading explanations which are commonly accepted as FACT. I'll stop here and leave this message with just a couple quotes.

"If the people let the government decide which foods they eat and medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls who live in tyranny."

If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.

Liberty is to the collective body, what health is to every individual body. Without health no pleasure can be tasted by man; without liberty, no happiness can be enjoyed by society.

Our country is now taking so steady a course as to show by what road it will pass to destruction, to wit: by consolidation of power first, and then corruption, its necessary consequence.

Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations; entangling alliances with none.

Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.

Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as they are injurious to others.

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.

...Thomas Jefferson

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

-Benjamin Franklin

Liberty permits progress, while government intervention tends always to tyranny. Liberty releases creative energy; government intervention suppresses it. This release of energy was never greater than in the time following the American Revolution and the writing of the U.S. Constitution.
~Henry Grady Weaver~

·
Electrical Contractor
2,411 Posts
I HAVE to wear shorts in the summer. Period. If I wear pants in the hot, humid NE summer I feel like I have someone's hands around my neck. I do have knee pads and yes, my knees are like leather, but I have no choice.
Like Marc suggested, I have about 8 pairs of Carhartt and Duluth shorts, no cutoffs or bathing suit types.
This is a metabolic thing, not a fashion or coolness thing. I just overheat, plain and simple.

Luckily for me, past employers either let me wear them with no problems, or I had the ability to just say see ya'. Now I am the one who dictates my wardrobe. It's shorts and one of my company t's or tanks.

I actually happen to think Carhartt shorts, a company tank and Red Wing boots DO look cool.:Thumbs:
Add a doo rag & shades and I'm downright smokin'!:cheesygri

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Speedy Petey said:
I HAVE to wear shorts in the summer. Period. If I wear pants in the summer I feel like I have someone's hands around my neck...
This is a metabolic thing...
It is for situations like that why I have some flexability. I'd hate to be staunchly against a guy working in shorts then have him suffer heat stroke. I'd be the idiot then.

Now, about that doo rag.... :cheesygri

·
Registered
378 Posts
Teetorbilt said:
NO SHORTS? An edict like that could get me lynched. I'd have to buy Cruex by the caseload. LOL
Down here, shorts are perfectly fine almost everywhere and people that wear long pants in the summer are noticed with curiosity or sympathy. The City of Stuart even passed an ordinance banning jackets and ties during the summer.
I have to agree,banning shorts is just cruel and unusual.As long as the shorts are not cutoffs i don't realy see any problem.

1 - 20 of 140 Posts