Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my 95 Chevy in for testing and it failed by 7 hydrocarbons at cruise. 220 limit I was at 227. So I spent $251 and time, got retested. Now it measures at 384 but I get the waiver. Ain't government great!

Rich

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Take your vehicle on the highway and BLAST that engine's RPMs. That helps clean things out.

LOL I went to get my van's emmissions and they told me the tail pipe was totally rusted off. No exhaust was escaping, it was coming right out of the muffler. I haven't been back yet :( OOps! Thanks for reminding me! :)

·
Registered
199 Posts
Rich Turley said:
Took my 95 Chevy in for testing and it failed by 7 hydrocarbons at cruise. 220 limit I was at 227. So I spent $251 and time, got retested. Now it measures at 384 but I get the waiver. Ain't government great!

Rich
If it's that close, changing to a synthetic like Mobil One will get you down. Also a new PVC hose helps, it's cheap !

·
Registered
56 Posts
valvoline has a high milage oil that is suppose to recondition seals and such got a buddie that uses it in his 95 van and said he has had great preformance and increased power after his first oil change with the newer oil.i think it is a synthetic 50/50 blend

·
Registered
199 Posts
Grumpy said:
I heard changing from the organic oil to the synthetic after 10 years of organic can cause leaks at gaskets etc...

Just what a mechanic told me when the synthetcs hit the market.
I've heard both sides, and really don't know. The guy who told me about switching to sythetics is a used car dealer and knows every single trick in the book, and don't spend a dime unless it's a 'gotta'. In Calif, depending on age of vehicle, one can be forced to spend up to $500. The PVC hose builds up a coating of HC producing material that chunks off and goes into the combustion chamber and may take a minute to burn off. It's also a trick that the tech at the DEQ can twist the hose and bump it around to give a high HC reading momentarily. In Calif, it's pay: Pass or Not.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Rich Turley said:

Rich
Hey Rich...What is the waiver? Is that the paper we can buy if it doesnt pass? So more or less if it dont pass, we just pay to pollute the air? Make sence? :eek: hahaha whata rip. I just went threw this whole thing myself and thank gawd it passed :Thumbs:

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
I'm responsible for a large percentage of ozone depletion, right up there next to jet fighters and jumbo jets you'll see Bob on the list.

I think a van full of hippies has been chasing me around the last few weeks.

Bob

·
Registered
199 Posts
Another trick

;)
shopdust said:
I've heard both sides, and really don't know. The guy who told me about switching to sythetics is a used car dealer and knows every single trick in the book, and don't spend a dime unless it's a 'gotta'. In Calif, depending on age of vehicle, one can be forced to spend up to $500. The PVC hose builds up a coating of HC producing material that chunks off and goes into the combustion chamber and may take a minute to burn off. It's also a trick that the tech at the DEQ can twist the hose and bump it around to give a high HC reading momentarily. In Calif, it's pay: Pass or Not.
Another trick he showed me is to slowly pour a quart of water with 12 Oz. of NON- silicone brake fluid thru the air intake, or carb on a older vehicle. Keep the RPM between 1500 and 2,000. Do not use any fluid with silicone as it will kill the O2 sensor and flag a code. Only do at night as it will generate a cloud of black smoke that will have the fire Dept rolling. I did it once on a son's friend who had a beater after I learned this. Seemed to work? Comments welcome.

·
Registered
7 Posts
shopdust said:
;)

Another trick he showed me is to slowly pour a quart of water with 12 Oz. of NON- silicone brake fluid thru the air intake, or carb on a older vehicle. Keep the RPM between 1500 and 2,000. Do not use any fluid with silicone as it will kill the O2 sensor and flag a code. Only do at night as it will generate a cloud of black smoke that will have the fire Dept rolling. I did it once on a son's friend who had a beater after I learned this. Seemed to work? Comments welcome.
sounds like a good way to hydolock the engine. or do you poor it so slow that that does not happen?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Answer: Real Slow, not letting the RPM drop to less than 1000!. Ane if one cyclinder is consistantly dead, stop instanly. That can be found by stopping all the fluid and seeing that the roughness which would be caused by a bad spark plug end. Again, your mileage may vary ... but seeing the cloud of black smoke coming out tells me that something is going on.

·
Banned
1,539 Posts
I live in kankakee county with don't have to mess with those tests on our vehicles. I know you do in cook county thats where grumpy is. Not sure about will county where Aaron B. is at in lockport. I think the rest of the southern counties are also exemted. In illinois that covers Cook, Lake, Dupage, and Maybe Will not sure. Aaron B. Do they make you get emissions tests on vehicles in Will. We don't have to in K3 county

1 - 12 of 12 Posts