Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Embossing lever

8K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  PrecisionFloors 
#1 ·
Anyone ever purchase this at a box store? I want to cut out a section of linoleum fix a floor then use an embossing lever to screed the whole floor prior to installing VCT but I can't find it.

#2 ·
It's usually an additive to patch in the liquid form by all the patch manufacturers. On patches it may say if it is approved for an embossing leveler to add so and so. Strip floor of waxes using a product etc. Most places don't have the specific liquid additive on the shelf, but "they can order it " so can I turkey and have em put it at the front door. Sorry, went off !

#4 ·
I did a little searching, apparently it's in a container one component premix nowadays, been a long time since we've done it. So two times in about 20 years wouldn't get much sales from us.
The additive is to make it stick, the cement portion is for it to be solid, the two work together well.

#9 ·
Just use Ardex feather finish for all of your patching/skimming/embossing needs and be done with it. It's the best product on the market by a mile. Plani patch is crap unless mixed with latex and then it is gummy and has poor pot life.

Spread rate, pot life, clean up, feather edge ability, hardness, and the ability to stick to damned near anything are the attributes that Ardex has simply left everyone else a generation behind on. Chemrex has a close knock off but it still ain't it.

Reactions: Tom M
#11 · (Edited)
#12 · (Edited)
Depends on the so called box store. Lowe's sells a product made by HB Fuller (TEC) they call skimcoat or some such. It's in 7 pound flour bags. To say it's highly modified is an understatement. This is at the Lowes in your area.

Just don't let that crap dry on a trowel! Oh Lawdie!! You'll need a jackhammer to get it off. hehe It's a terrific product. Beat the piss out of it with a paddle and put a fan on it and it will dry by the time you back out the door. Plani is a good one too. They tell you to prime and use additive and all that jazz, but all I do is beat it up and put it down. It has enough polymer in it to suffice over vinyl all by itself. Bond strength isn't all that important to a vinyl installation. I'm always amazed that I can look at two different kitchens that have been down for twenty years and they can look exactly the same except that one can be taken up in an hour and the other might take a day. In the absence of heavy rolling traffic, it just doesn't matter that much.

Hell, back in the day, all I used was d-9001. Never had a failure, but that's pretty reckless in hindsight.

#14 ·
I went the the TEC and I got the primer as well.....I dont want to risk a failure. It will slow the process down a bit. Apparently you clean , prime(brush or roll) wait a couple of hours then skim coat and wait another 30 minutes or so.

If the floor comes out flat creates a good bond it will be worth it.

Thanks for all of the input. I spoke to my Flooring guy and he also recommended Ardex. I did find it but its out of the way. When I come across it I will grab it next time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.