Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 191 Posts

·
Banned
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So this lady in MD had me work on her old victorian townhouse, which had a bad subfloor. Well, she had us rip it out and install a new one. I was tired but said I could do it proffesianally. Well, I installed the new subfloor, put in some new oak flooring, and finished them.

Well it all looked good until you walked on it, it sounded horrible, squeaks and all. She was so mad at us, she hired in a new company to do it over. And sued us, broke. Old hag!

Man that was embarrasing!!:censored:

Any of you guys had some of the worst embarrasing work moments?

·
General Contractor
8,082 Posts
Sounds like a hack moment, I don't see anything embracing about it, just the fact you don't know what you doing and it sounds like you going to pay for her new floor.

So this lady in MD had me work on her old victorian townhouse, which had a bad subfloor. Well, she had us rip it out and install a new one. I was tired but said I could do it proffesianally. Well, I installed the new subfloor, put in some new oak flooring, and finished them.

Well it all looked good until you walked on it, it sounded horrible, squeaks and all. She was so mad at us, she hired in a new company to do it over. And sued us, broke. Old hag!

Man that was embarrasing!!:censored:

Any of you guys had some of the worst embarrasing work moments?

·
Pro
670 Posts
The worst thing I ever had happen was when I was a superintendant for a commercial builder. The PM and I were on speaker phone with the female architect. She said something stupid then put me "on hold" so I thought. I made a few choice comments to the PM only to find that she had not put me on hold but on speaker and she and the rest of the office heard everything I said. Needless to say I had to go to the office and appoligize my ass off.

Bill

·
Thom
4,137 Posts
Well I got thrown out of the house on a sales call once. No, I wasn't embarrassed.

The couple wanted several things done one of which was installation of a skylight directly centered over the kitchen sink. There was a Valley there, centered over the sink. Because it was at the outside wall, there was no room to work a skylite shaft from a roof plane into the area over the sink, the only way was to put the skylite right in the middle of the valley. I told them I wouldn't do it, they insisted it had to go right there. I explained the problem, they didn't care, they had to have a skylight centered over the sink.

Finally I asked why it had to be right there. The husband answered "so there is plenty of light when washing the dishes". I responded "why do you care, your wife does the dishes doesn't she?"

After screaming at me, calling me a male chauvinist pig, the wife told me to get out now.

Oh well, you can't win them all.

·
WICKED WOODCHUCKER
893 Posts
About 5 years ago we did a large roof on an apartment complex. If I remember correctly it was around 80 or so sq. It was a complete strip to trusses with new sheathing. My foreman called me and said they were almost done. So I decided to call owner and have him meet me over there to inspect with me and of course pay me. We met over there just as the crew was packin up to leave. We looked it over i got my check and took off. The next day at lunch my foreman said **** I forgot to cap that roof from yesterday! I had to call the HO and tell him we needed to go back. How embarrasing! My foreman had over 15 yrs experience at the time. We still laugh about it today!

·
Banned
846 Posts
It was a mulch job out of my old 79 Chevy. Had the truck backed across the lawn and was shoveling the mulch out the back. I also had a 30 gallon drum of Round Up back there since it was on sale at the nursery I picked up the mulch at. Get done, shut the tailgate and go to leave. On this POS the tranny used to get hung up, so I revved the engine and the truck lurched into gear. The Round Up fell over, rolled into the tailgate, and fell onto the lawn. Tailgate and all. This was a really ****ty truck. Spilled over 25 gallons of Round Up on a beautiful lawn before I got it back upright. 4 years later theres still a dead spot there.

Damn Chevy POS.

·
strat hd
1,695 Posts
This was'nt an embarising moment but I once framed a house for a woman psychologist turned builder from Australia !!! Talk about about a pain in the a**. She knew everything there was to know!!! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Showed up for an estimate, big beautiful home, as i walk around the house with Mrs Jones looking at the list of work, i feel something around the bottom of my pant leg. I ignore it for several minutes as we talk, finally i look down to see whats the deal, much to my dismay, at that moment, yesterdays underwear drop right out on the floor from my pant leg:eek:. I look at mrs Jones, she looks at my underwear, then at me, i casually bend down, pick my tighty whities up, and calmly put them in my pocket. Me and mrs Jones make believe nothing happen, She never called again:sad:. G

Moral of the story, when you pick up yesterdays pants off the floor, check the leg for yesterdays undies before you put them on:laughing:.

·
Banned
846 Posts
StratHD, Did she have you wrestle with your inner crocodile?

·
Registered
600 Posts
About 5 years ago we did a large roof on an apartment complex. If I remember correctly it was around 80 or so sq. It was a complete strip to trusses with new sheathing. My foreman called me and said they were almost done. So I decided to call owner and have him meet me over there to inspect with me and of course pay me. We met over there just as the crew was packin up to leave. We looked it over i got my check and took off. The next day at lunch my foreman said **** I forgot to cap that roof from yesterday! I had to call the HO and tell him we needed to go back. How embarrasing! My foreman had over 15 yrs experience at the time. We still laugh about it today!
No one noticed this when you looked it over?

·
Banned
846 Posts
Did she talk like the late Steve Irwin? It's so sexy when a gal with a great body has that thick Australian accent. Love to hear em talk dirty.

·
Banned
846 Posts
Don't leave me hanging bro, I've got a serious Australian accent fetish!

·
Banned
917 Posts
Showed up for an estimate, big beautiful home, as i walk around the house with Mrs Jones looking at the list of work, i feel something around the bottom of my pant leg. I ignore it for several minutes as we talk, finally i look down to see whats the deal, much to my dismay, at that moment, yesterdays underwear drop right out on the floor from my pant leg:eek:. I look at mrs Jones, she looks at my underwear, then at me, i casually bend down, pick my tighty whities up, and calmly put them in my pocket. Me and mrs Jones make believe nothing happen, She never called again:sad:. G

Moral of the story, when you pick up yesterdays pants off the floor, check the leg for yesterdays undies before you put them on:laughing:.
In my case I looked down while cruising HD and they were hanging out of my pants leg halfway.

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
Not embarrasing but - did a trim job for a husband and wife, both were psychiatrists. Out back, right on Lake Ontario they had another building which had three walls all glass and the floor was poured acrilyc. There was a drain right in the middle of the floor.

So I asked why the acrilyc floor and the drain? They matter of factly told me that was for hosing down the floor after the orgies they held.

I never did get invited to any orgies. But it was a nice trim job to do.

1 - 20 of 191 Posts