Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figured I would start this thread here now. We just purchased a 1700sq. ft. split level home in a nearby suburb.

Closing was today.

It's not a full gut by any means but does need some considerable work. Should keep me busy for the next couple of months.

Wish me luck! :thumbsup:

image-2663668362.jpg

·
Super Moderator
10,605 Posts
Will this be a live in and then flip house? Some tax advantages to that if you are not already a homeowner. Keep us posted on the progress.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Kam looks like a great place, Plow that white stuff off and plant some green stuff!!!!!!!!!, Best of luck.

·
Fine Handcrafted Opinions
994 Posts
First one huh?

Don't do what I did.

I went from "I'm going to make a serious amount of money" to "I'm going to make a decent amount of money" to "well, I'll make something at least, and after all, it is just my first one" to " I hope I break even" to "man, this sucks".... Lol.

Don't think it's all that uncommon.

If it was easy, everyone would be doing it. Most people are one and done.

Not trying to be negative, just saying watch your pennies.

Good luck!

·
Pro
2,859 Posts
kambrooks said:
I figured I would start this thread here now. We just purchased a 1700sq. ft. split level home in a nearby suburb. Closing was today. It's not a full gut by any means but does need some considerable work. Should keep me busy for the next couple of months. Wish me luck! :thumbsup:
So what is it that has to be done . What is your time frame . Don't be worried if you need to hire out things to meet deadline .

·
Banned
3,075 Posts
Good Luck Kam.

Post pics often.........
even the ones with tears running down your face. ("a colony of prairie dogs took over the septic field?!")

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Good luck Kam!

Talk to a good realtor about what improvements are selling in your area. It's all about that first impression. Also, don't get too emotionally attached...(as if you were going to live there...)

Lots of pics!

·
General Contractor
8,051 Posts
Good luck Kameron :thumbsup: Nice house and has a lot of potential if you decide to make an addition to it.
Keep us updated.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
skillman said:
So what is it that has to be done . What is your time frame . Don't be worried if you need to hire out things to meet deadline .
Major Projects:

Mostly rewired
New Furnace
Flooring throughout
A bathroom remod
Trim and doors
Paint

I'll add to the list as necessary.

Kitchen was remodeled in 09 and isn't bad besides some damaged cabinet doors. Hardwood throughout, but it's beat up pretty bad. Definitely replacing in LR either way but will get a refinisher in to see of bedrooms are salvageable. If not, carpet.

Roof is in decent shape and will stay, gutters may need some attention.

Got a good amount of demo done yesterday and I was happy with the lack of stuff I found :laughing:

Should be a good project for me.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ClaytonR said:
First one huh? Don't do what I did. I went from "I'm going to make a serious amount of money" to "I'm going to make a decent amount of money" to "well, I'll make something at least, and after all, it is just my first one" to " I hope I break even" to "man, this sucks".... Lol. Don't think it's all that uncommon. If it was easy, everyone would be doing it. Most people are one and done. Not trying to be negative, just saying watch your pennies. Good luck!
I hear you. Not overly concerned with cracking into this business but obviously don't wanna lose my shirt.

It's paid in cash so no carrying costs-got that going for me.

House isn't in bad shape. Decent family lived there, took care of the place. They passed in July and willed the house to a younger relative. He happened to be a junkie. So it's a good house with dumb stuff like the copper from the floor to the valve missing under the sinks, some wiring cut out in the basement, etc.

It'll come down to what someone mentioned above... Finding out what improvements are selling and knocking those out of the park.

·
Registered
11,370 Posts
Good luck! That's the same as my buddy's house in Langhorne (creek rd.), except he as a front entry garage on the right. Which neighborhood is this one?

1 - 20 of 134 Posts