Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Job coming down the pipe that might have an elevator installed. Probably a small 3 flr traction type. I am familiar with 620,430, circuit sizing and all that but my question is when it comes to the disconnect means it looks like you can do it various ways. Shunt Trip, Cooper Busmann PLC type , etc..Oh, there won't be a sprinkler system in this place as well. I hear you might need a heat sensor added in the loop possibly as well. I"m guessing it will be an OTIS or something similar. Do the elevator companies take it over from the load of the disconnect or do we have to?? I'm not sure on something like this where we stop and the elevator company takes over. This won't happen for 6 months but just getting my ducks in a row before it happens and see how some of you have done it.

Thanks

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
Job coming down the pipe that might have an elevator installed. Probably a small 3 flr traction type. I am familiar with 620,430, circuit sizing and all that but my question is when it comes to the disconnect means it looks like you can do it various ways. Shunt Trip, Cooper Busmann PLC type , etc..Oh, there won't be a sprinkler system in this place as well. I hear you might need a heat sensor added in the loop possibly as well. I"m guessing it will be an OTIS or something similar. Do the elevator companies take it over from the load of the disconnect or do we have to?? I'm not sure on something like this where we stop and the elevator company takes over. This won't happen for 6 months but just getting my ducks in a row before it happens and see how some of you have done it.

Thanks
I am a GC and am having an elevator installed by Otis in a commercial project, my electrician is providing the disconnect, the elevator people will hook their equipment up to the disconnect.

The elevator company will give you specs as to their power requirements.

The fire alarm company (another sub) will install any smoke, fire or heat detectors.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Elevator

That's what I'm thinking will happen here as well. I'm in a strange 6 county area all within my working zone. But, if it's otis I'm bettin they will do the same. I just had a restaurant hood interlock system in the screwed up county and fire alarm (Cintas), Restaurant Hood company made us do everything. It all depends which way go I guess. Oh, sorry didn't see this link til after

http://www.contractortalk.com/f5/shunt-trip-breaker-4188/

·
ampman
783 Posts
when i worked for a large EC a long time ago we would run power to the disc. provided by the elevator co and from there it was up to them

·
Carbon Dioxide Producer
782 Posts
The last one I did was a couple of years ago. It was just a singe-car in a 4-story condo building. We ran the feeder, installed a 3-pole disconnect and wired the hydraulic pump unit along with lighting and a receptacle for the elevator room.
The elevator company then came in and finished all the conduit and alarm wiring in the actual elevator shaft. I think it varies state by state as to how much of the work you can do without special elevator certification, so I would probably check with your state regulating board to be sure.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've always had to handle the FA aspect, recall, and shunting of the elevators. Of course, I've always been the fire alarm sub as well. The elevator techs took care of their control wiring only.

·
Registered
47 Posts
bwalley is right!

OTIS is Odd about how they do things. we did a hotel a while back and all they had to do was bring the disconnect into the equipment room and that was it. same with the fire alarm guys and HVAC. just bring there wires in and thats it. OTIS will take it from there.

I dont know if its the same in a house or not.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
otis

I'm sure they will take it from there. Along with a 50% markup from there as well. But, they have probably had a few things happen over the years I'm betting plus liabilalty when the elevator fails due to electrical so.....

·
Registered
47 Posts
yep, i cant say for the rest. i have only used otis in the past. but they are all union and VERY high pay.

but they are very anal about who touches their equipment. like you said its most likely to cover their asses. and to make all that money... LOL

1 - 10 of 10 Posts