Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Vagitarian
3,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here are a couple pics of a elevator addition that I dug for a church. First there was statue in the way and I had to dig that up and move it to a new location about 75' away. Had to over excavate 18" and haul in and compact structural fill because of poor soils.

The chunk of concrete you see to the left is a grade beam. There are 6 cassions drilled in the ground 38' deep along the church with a grade beam poured on top of them. GC had to notch the grade beam because a portion on the elevator wall foundation hits it.

Just in front of that you see the old stone foundation of the church which is 160 yrs old. A portion of that stone footer is in the way of the new foundation. This also was cut. Just imagine the hardworking gentlemen who placed those stones that long ago. In the last pic you can see the start to a huge air conditioning unit sitting on a slab. Had to undermine the slab a bit for the new footer to fit. I was a little nervous when compacting the structural fill.

Attachments

·
Registered
555 Posts
That's quite the cut in a tight stop. Your hoe spin in there? Nice looking hoe, ever wish it was on rubber? We bought a mini, much smaller than yours, year or so ago and I don't think it has sat more than a day or two since. Never thought we'd use one so much. I guess we really only rented one when we absolutely had to have it.

You do most of your smaller jobs on contract or t&m? I'll bid smaller stuff like that but don't seem to get them contract wise, but we do a ton of small stuff t&m.

·
Vagitarian
3,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's quite the cut in a tight stop. Your hoe spin in there? Nice looking hoe, ever wish it was on rubber? We bought a mini, much smaller than yours, year or so ago and I don't think it has sat more than a day or two since. Never thought we'd use one so much. I guess we really only rented one when we absolutely had to have it.

You do most of your smaller jobs on contract or t&m? I'll bid smaller stuff like that but don't seem to get them contract wise, but we do a ton of small stuff t&m.
With the over excavation I was 10' deep. I could have swung in there if needed, but I was able to reach pretty good and swing quickly to load the truck with out too many worries. The quick coupler adds some extra reach but kills the breakout force. I couldn't use a mini because of the reach, moving the statue and I had some pretty big concrete slabs to rip out and load in the tri-axle. Plus I had to throw in the structural fill and then I will need the added reach for backfill. This machine is actually kinda small for the normal work that we do, but it does have its' niche. We do not have a mini on rubber. Would like to have one, but if you had the money to buy everything you needed, you wouldn't have to work. I have a buddy that is a remodeler that has a bobcat mini. I just use his when I need one.

This is a commercial job and was bid. It is for the catholic church and had to be bid prevailing wage. No govt. money funded the project but the church didn't want to tick off the unions which are big supporters of the diocese of Scranton. About half of our work is bid, the other half is T&M. If we are working for our regular home building contractors, we bill T&M. Some of the new customers and the commercial projects get bid. You know how it goes. Buying sets of plans and bidding the same job to 5 different GC's and they are getting 15 different site contractor bids.

I bid this job last Sept. when we were kinda slow. Now I am super busy out the rear and do not even want to do it, but it just got started. Normally, I do not like to deal with puss cases like this, but it is work.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Nice job around that nice old stone work! Those tight places are what keep ya sharp and make you slow down and think.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

1 - 5 of 5 Posts