Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This one has me stumped, I have an electronic air filter that from time to time caused a strange smell in the house (my home). Even after cleaning the filters and the pre filters the smell seems to stick around to the point that my wife makes me cut the power to the filter. Do any of the HVAC contractors here have any ideas as to what this is or how to stop it? Thanks in advance Dave.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Leo, I guess it could be I will see what I can learn how that could happen. Anyone else with any ideas? Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
All electronic filters create ozone.You just need to figure out why yours is making too much. There have been some recalls on some models that had a ozone problem.

What model of furnace, and filter do you have?

Also is it a variable speed unit, as low air flow can enhance the problem.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, great answers! It is indeed a variable speed unit. The ozone is at its most noticable levels right after cleaning the filters for about 2 days. I will have my hvac contractor come check the voltage on the filters to make sure it isnt too high which I understand can increase the ozone. Thank you for all the help, this is indeed a very bright group:thumbsup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts