Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi im mike i am bout to start attending pennco tech to be an electrician.
they gave me a list of tools i need to get and i guess they are just makin up there own names for these tools idk. its aggrevating!

can anyone help me, maybe someone knows what they are talkin bout the tools i need help with are:
1-TRI TIP ( i think this might be some type of screwdriver not sure)

2-SCREW LAUNCHER ( and im thinkin this might be some type of attachment to hold screws on screwdriver idk)

i have an orientation next month to find this out in detail but i would rather be prepared so if someone could help me to get the right name for these tools i would greately appriciate it
thanks
mike

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
LOL, I'm no veteran but I've been in the industry for 5 years and I have no idea what your refering to. Is that all that was written on your equipment list?

·
Registered
55 Posts
whats up mike ive been in the electrical trade for about 13 yrs.ive worked with old timers and instructors, and never heard any of those terms used before.:eek::eek::eek: sounds like their talking about screwdrivers and a screw holding driver ask ur teacher to be more specific.is that all ur supposed to have with u or is there more tools on ur list? good luck with school.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no there is like 32 tools on the list but those 2 were the ones i had a problem with. i looked up tri tip and all that came up was beef tri tip lol
and i looked up the screw launcher and i got grenade launchers...
the other tools are like tool bags, belts, pouch, screw drivers, nut drivers, saws, torp. level, crimpers, rotosplitter, knife, diff. types of pliers...
its like the school just made up there own names for these tools and put it on paper.
i got an orientation to go to next month that should explain it, but i figured i would try to get it sooner, i even called the the guy that registered me and he made some guesses but that was no good.
well thanks anyway for the reply.

LOL, I'm no veteran but I've been in the industry for 5 years and I have no idea what your refering to. Is that all that was written on your equipment list?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
advice please??

thanks, yeah there is a total of 32 tools on my list including screwdrivers, nut drivers, crimper/strippers, rotosplitter, tools bag/belt/pouch, saws, pliers, etc.. i was just having trouble finding those 2 items online. i was actually havin a little trouble with that rotosplitter i found just dont know where i can get one. i didnt see it on lowes or home depot page.

i got a question for ya too i start my school next month it lasts for six months. the rep. i talked too told me i had to find a sponsor half way thru to basically work with to continue my apprenticeship, he told me i needed to get 3600 hours for journeyman and 7600 hours to apply for my electrician license i also get 900 hours from the course added into those hours. is this bout right? and is there any advice you could give me that would help? i am very interested to learn and want to succeede in this career so im willing to work as hard as i can to do that.
thanks for your help
mike
whats up mike ive been in the electrical trade for about 13 yrs.ive worked with old timers and instructors, and never heard any of those terms used before.:eek::eek::eek: sounds like their talking about screwdrivers and a screw holding driver ask ur teacher to be more specific.is that all ur supposed to have with u or is there more tools on ur list? good luck with school.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Who ever made up the tool list did a real bad job. When making up list for schools or national companies or orginizations, standard names should be used, not some very localized gibberish. Tri tip?

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Do a search for

tri-wing screwdriver (tri tip)

Klein screw-holding screw driver (screw launcher), and ask the school if they want both slotted and phillips.

As for the school, make sure that the hours there will count. Stop by a nearby IBEW union hall and ask them if they will apply those hours to a apprenticeship.

·
Registered
110 Posts
i got a question for ya too i start my school next month it lasts for six months. the rep. i talked too told me i had to find a sponsor half way thru to basically work with to continue my apprenticeship, he told me i needed to get 3600 hours for journeyman and 7600 hours to apply for my electrician license i also get 900 hours from the course added into those hours. is this bout right? and is there any advice you could give me that would help? i am very interested to learn and want to succeede in this career so im willing to work as hard as i can to do that.
thanks for your help
mike

The hours required to become a journeyman are state specific, you need to contact the state electrical board to find out what is required. Some states require so many hours in different categories to be filled before you can take the state journeyman test.

Also, the state has their requirements to take the test, an IBEW apprenticeship may or may not have the same requirements as the state. The state I am in requires 48 months of field experience (apprenticeship) under a licensed master electrician, 2 years of trade school counts as 12 months of experience towards the 48 months.

Now if you are in an IBEW apprenticeship, the union requires 60 months of experience before they will allow you to take the state J-man test, so you work for 1 extra year as an apprentice.

Saying all that, you will need to contact your state electrical board for the proper information, just realize that a union apprenticeship might have different requirements than the state board.

good luck!

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
He is in PA I believe and PA isn't like other states with a state electricians license yet. But I hear it is coming.

That is why I told him to ask at the IBEW, as these hours would transfer anywhere. And yes the IBEW is 5 years and our states are the normal 8000 hours/4 years also.

Also if he would have done a apprenticeship he would be paid while learning, instead of paying $10,000 and maybe not getting any credit hours for his school time or only half the hours if the school is even recognized by a state licensing agency.

You got to check what you are getting from some of these private Tech schools, as most of them are not recognized.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
hi im mike i am bout to start attending pennco tech to be an electrician.
they gave me a list of tools i need to get and i guess they are just makin up there own names for these tools idk. its aggrevating!

can anyone help me, maybe someone knows what they are talkin bout the tools i need help with are:
1-TRI TIP ( i think this might be some type of screwdriver not sure)

2-SCREW LAUNCHER ( and im thinkin this might be some type of attachment to hold screws on screwdriver idk)

i have an orientation next month to find this out in detail but i would rather be prepared so if someone could help me to get the right name for these tools i would greately appriciate it
thanks
mike
I found two screw launchers:

SK234 SK234 SCREW LAUNCHER KIT KLEIN

Manufacturer Model Number: SK234
Part Number: 191-590
Shipping Weight: 0.40 pounds
Quantity Discounts
1 - 4 $33.50
5 - 9 $32.16
10 - 24 $30.15
25 or more $28.48
Link

and

SIN-270173674 - SCREW LAUNCHER $30.24
Link

TRI TIP, here you go, we call them forks:

Attachments

Reactions: miket2727

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,833 Posts
He is in PA I believe and PA isn't like other states with a state electricians license yet. But I hear it is coming.
I'd like to hear what you've heard. They've enacted a home improvement contractor's registration, but I've seen nothing at all about state licensing per se.

·
Pro
636 Posts
tri tip? how about a tri tap? thread cutter for 6-32, 8-32, and 10-32. Bought one for school myself and didn't realize I had lost it for a couple years. Never used the thing. As for a screw launcer, never heard of it. As for the screw launcer, I am like others and think it is a screwdriver that holds the screw on the tip instead of having to use your fingers. I always wanted one of those but never bought it. You will find that there is a PILE of tools that can make a sparky's job easier but get lost in the toolbox and meanwhile you figure out how to make a different tool do it's job. Never was much for running out to the truck to get that special screwdrive for a one time use.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Me thinks they are weeding out the heard....:clap:

When I was a kid...they sent me for a box of "end joints"...:censored:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey Mike

Hey my name is Peter im an electrician from Ireland, i remember getting my first tools list for tech. in Ireland an electrical apprenticeship is 4years (provided you pass each exam as you go) it may take some guys 6 or 7 years! our apprenticeship is broken up into 30weeks on site 30weeks in college and so on and too start its 6months on site to become forminlar with with the trade and i remember not hearing half of the tool names on the list while i was on site! im am now qualified about 5 years on a recent trip to the states while my wife was off shopping i decided to do some shopping of my own and as the exchange rate was great and that im a self confesed tool junkie i thought id pick up a few bits and pieces! i tried a few places and was shocked at how cheep powertools are in your country however i was also shocked at how crappy the electrical hand tools on offer were! I realise domestic voltage in the states is 110v (230v) in europe but damn what do you guys do when working on hv? my advise to you is get on ebay and get yourself some german made Knipex insulated hand tools and Fluke or Megger test gear!:no::no:

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Peter we have Knipex here....Klein are more popular in my area but both are readily available.

Same with Fluke, very popular.

Where were you looking Sears? Wal-Mart?:laughing:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Realy? checked a couple of places was mainly supprised homedepot didnt have knipex or any insulated tools realy as they had a realy large range of hand tools for other trades! tho i should have prob checked for elec wholesalers! will be back in the states in Jan can you recommend where's best to get tools?

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Insulated tools except for screwdrivers are special order only around here, guys arn't allowed to work on live stuff for the most part.

Home Depot dropped Greenlee, Ideal and Fluke and expanded their Klein selection dramatically. (here atleast) The good electrical tools arn't in the tool section they are in the electrical department...only the husky/stanley/channellock stuff is in the tool section.

Where are you going to be in Jan? Maby someone local can make a recommendation as I'm in Canada.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts