Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
ive broken 3 or 4 of those over the years the new ones are acrylic ,usually the power company comes out right away and replaces them

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Cant say we have ever broken one. Would have to be a pretty odd hit to do that. Now I could see whacking it with a staging plank maybe

Reactions: nEighter

·
Sophisticated Siding Guy.
528 Posts
I can say i've never broken one either.

My least favorite event is when one of my guys busts the corner of a vinyl window with the built in Jchannel. When it's cold it doesnt take much...

·
Official CT Greeter!
1,397 Posts
I don't know how rough you are, or to what degree of protection you might need, but when we used to paint exteriors, we used an old plastic butter bowl. It fit on it perfectly, and we would tape it in place.

Like one of these:

Good tip, you should have posted it on Handy manny's thread, but he probably already knows about that one...:whistling

Seriously tho good tip, I would have never thought about that.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I worked for Duke Power for a few years and never heard of one broken by a contractor. Dad and I worked pretty solid until '73 without ever busting one. I have yet to bust one.

Maybe your techniques need to be altered. Just a ladder leaned over it would shield it from damaging impacts.

·
Siding Windows Doors
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The side end walls of this appartment building has 12 meters in groups of 4. We have 30 of these endwalls and to be safe I wanted to protect the meters and the crew should a ladder or scaffolding fall.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you are working on a job that big, why not just build or set up a scaffolding over the meters, before you pull off siding. That should keep major debris from falling on them. Spend the rest of the time making sure your scaffolding won't fall.

·
Siding Windows Doors
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
The plywood covers work fine, are not in the way and can be moved from wall to wall as needed. They are not OSHI T approved as the rest of the equipment.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I can't say that I have ever seen on of those break however if you are worried about it, the country crock seems like a good idea

1 - 12 of 12 Posts