Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
26,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a guy who wants to quit piddling with a padlock. He wants a remote control setup with locking gates. Pic is what's there now, each gate is about 9' 6" x 48", hinged on 6x6 posts. He'll replace them if he has to, but obviously would prefer to keep them if possible.

Anyone have a good solution?

Plant Natural environment Branch Natural landscape Road surface

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
26,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Tom. Do you know if they actually lock, or just make it inconvenient to bull through them? He wants something relatively bulletproof.

Think the system would work with the gates in the pic?

·
Registered
14,946 Posts
When they are in the closed position the gates cannot be pushed open. Same principal sam a garage door opener, most do not have a physical lock, but you can’t lift the door.

Should work, you’ll need to get the arm connected to the tube on the gate.

Looks like they have solar panels to charge the batteries.

Tom

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
26,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This isn't nearly as high-volume as a gated community; maybe 3-4 times a day max. Battery backup would be overkill.

But at least you've given me a direction to look. No doubt they have lower-level options. Thanks!

·
Administrator
Sawdust follows Me Everywhere
65,486 Posts
As long as it has a worm gear in the gear box it makes it pretty impossible to move the system without destroying it.

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
I have 2 customers with them, neither lock, hydraulic piston opens and closes gate. Electric pump is in a box under bushes. Only way to have worm drive may be a slide open gate and the ones I haw seen are chain drive or gear and a track, both are noisy

·
Registered
168 Posts
This isn't nearly as high-volume as a gated community; maybe 3-4 times a day max. Battery backup would be overkill.

But at least you've given me a direction to look. No doubt they have lower-level options. Thanks!
battery backup is not the question at all. The question is does he have/want 220 or 110 volt at the gates or will a solar panel and battery be acceptable/better? Me, I would go solar if proper AC power was not already within 20 feet. I have had to cut asphalt and concrete and even install the sensor coils in asphalt for automatic door opening when exiting. IF solar with batteries backup and DC motors are available then I would go that way.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
26,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
120V power is available reasonably close to the gate. NBD to route a line over there.

I'm actually kind of surprised that almost all offerings I've found (at least outside of commercial) rely on battery power. That's a negative for this application; he doesn't want to deal with batteries and their maintenance. I wouldn't either.

·
Administrator
Sawdust follows Me Everywhere
65,486 Posts
Introduce a power supply to replace the battery.

·
Registered
14,946 Posts
120V power is available reasonably close to the gate. NBD to route a line over there.

I'm actually kind of surprised that almost all offerings I've found (at least outside of commercial) rely on battery power. That's a negative for this application; he doesn't want to deal with batteries and their maintenance. I wouldn't either.
The model I linked is line voltage with battry back up. You can add the batteries if you wish. I think battery back up is a good idea.

Tom

·
Registered
168 Posts
The battery backup is standard for a reason. The batteries are not that expensive and believe me if power goes out with mud on that two track he will appreciate it.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I’ve had a couple of the mighty mule openers like Tgeb posted. They have seemed to be made cheaper over the years and the last one I keep having problems with the motor control limits. Finally had enough to replace it all. Found out Ghost Controls had a bunch of the old mighty mule executives and it looked like they decided to fix a bunch of the little problems.

Short story is new Ghost control opener works great on 8’ double steel and wrought iron entry gates I have. They do have a a small battery in the control box, probably need to replace every 4-5 years. I have mine connected to a 120v for constant charging. You can power them with solar if needed. Had a setup years ago with solar, it worked well.

They have an option lock kit, that I have installed, that would not let anything through without with out major damage to the gates.

Next step up would be a commercial grade opener.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've been looking for a good solution for this too, down at our property we have a gate and it's always a pain, the problem is making sure it says locked since we have had break ins before since it's in more a rural area but would like one with possibly a camera too to alert each time it's open kind of like a ring door bell.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
26,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The model I linked is line voltage with battry back up. You can add the batteries if you wish. I think battery back up is a good idea.
I see that now. I'm not opposed to battery backup, just don't think it makes a lot of sense for a unit to be battery only if there's not a good reason for it. In this case, there isn't.

Unfortunately, I think that one is going to be over his budget. We haven't discussed that yet; wanted to get a couple of ballparks first.

I’ve had a couple of the mighty mule openers like Tgeb posted. They have seemed to be made cheaper over the years and the last one I keep having problems with the motor control limits. Finally had enough to replace it all. Found out Ghost Controls had a bunch of the old mighty mule executives and it looked like they decided to fix a bunch of the little problems.

Short story is new Ghost control opener works great on 8’ double steel and wrought iron entry gates I have. They do have a a small battery in the control box, probably need to replace every 4-5 years. I have mine connected to a 120v for constant charging. You can power them with solar if needed. Had a setup years ago with solar, it worked well.

They have an option lock kit, that I have installed, that would not let anything through without with out major damage to the gates.

Next step up would be a commercial grade opener.
That's exactly the impression I've been getting from reviews of Mighty Mule. Not real confidence-inspiring. Ghost does seem to be a step up, and he mentioned that he does want an actual lock--so that kit fits right in.

Thanks, guys.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Worked for some folks that had a setup from tractor supply. I believe it ran on a small solar panel that came with the kit. There was a wheel mounted to the bottom of the gate on opposite side of hinges that took the weight. The whole setup seemed to work pretty well

1 - 18 of 18 Posts