Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am on the lookout for an innovative solution/product for electric floor heating in a house where the floors are not perfectly square or rectangular. The house has been built on a relatively steep slope with the result that some of the rooms have peculiar shapes. I do not think heating mats would be a best-fit solution for this house.

·
Repair/Remodeling Tech.
1,645 Posts
I've never used it, but I don't think the heating pads have to be under every square inch of floor. The ceramic will transfer some of the heat around.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I've never used it, but I don't think the heating pads have to be under every square inch of floor. The ceramic will transfer some of the heat around.
This my good man is a complete load of sh!t. It will transfer about 1.5" past the heating wire.

Either take a mat style, cut it and re-arrange it or use a wire.

Laticrete mat is pretty easy to customize.

·
Repair/Remodeling Tech.
1,645 Posts
This my good man is a complete load of sh!t. It will transfer about 1.5" past the heating wire.

Either take a mat style, cut it and re-arrange it or use a wire.

Laticrete mat is pretty easy to customize.
Well ok....like I said I've never used it. So thanks for setting me straight. Guess I'll mind my own business from now on...............

....yea right :jester: . Yea nevermind, that's not going to happen ;)

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Well ok....like I said I've never used it. So thanks for setting me straight. Guess I'll mind my own business from now on...............

....yea right :jester: . Yea nevermind, that's not going to happen ;)
I thought the same thing but I leaned my lesson the hard way. Now my toes get cold when when I piss in the sink!

·
Repair/Remodeling Tech.
1,645 Posts
I thought the same thing but I leaned my lesson the hard way. Now my toes get cold when when I piss in the sink!
:laughing: :clap:

You have made my day my friend. If I could get the image out of my head now, it'd be perfect.

I sure would have thought ceramic would transfer better than that though, but it's good to know that it don't. (good to know NOW rather than after I install a half cold/half warm floor)

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
:laughing: :clap:

You have made my day my friend. If I could get the image out of my head now, it'd be perfect.

I sure would have thought ceramic would transfer better than that though, but it's good to know that it don't. (good to know NOW rather than after I install a half cold/half warm floor)
Nope it's an insulator. My floor is half inch porcelain ontop of SLC and plywood....You can feel a distinct line where the heating ends and the cold tile begins...Not too happy but not about to tear up my nice tiles.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you for all the replies and advice; much appreciated. Inner10 mentioned the use of a wire. If my assumption is correct, a wire can be used as an alternative to heating mats. Does anyone have experience in using wires? Does it heat as well as heating mats?

·
Hair Splitter
18,330 Posts
Thank you for all the replies and advice; much appreciated. Inner10 mentioned the use of a wire. If my assumption is correct, a wire can be used as an alternative to heating mats. Does anyone have experience in using wires? Does it heat as well as heating mats?
Post #4 you'll see a wire system I did. Mays are just wire systems sandwiched in a mat. Their functionality is the sane and install is not to bad. The mounting brackets are sharp do be careful when you are running the wire and lacing it.

And make sure you complete all tests, documenting the results to verify the wire is functional and the warranty is intact.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Post #4 you'll see a wire system I did. Mays are just wire systems sandwiched in a mat. Their functionality is the sane and install is not to bad. The mounting brackets are sharp do be careful when you are running the wire and lacing it.

And make sure you complete all tests, documenting the results to verify the wire is functional and the warranty is intact.
Thank you, TNTSERVICES, the wire system might be the solution I was looking for. See the information I found on this website. It provides more information on floor heating products, i.e. radiant floor heating mats vs radiant floor heating cable.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts