Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This seems like a dumb conversational topic, but it has me stumped. I need to hear some good ways or ideas on tying up cords and hoses. I currently wrap them in a circle and than swoop one of the loose ends around the top 1/3 two or three times and pull the end through making a grab handle that won't release the cord or hose...easy to carry, transport, etc. Problem is in cold weather the last 4 feet of either(cord or hose) will keep it's memory and stay stiff from all the wrapping around the circle. This also damages the ends of the air hoses over time.

In the past I've used 18" lengths of electrical wire or the grounds and just twisted it around an oval. The wires get lost and lose rigidity after 20 or so uses. I've tried the velcro with the eyelet so you pull the free end through to avoid losing it. Velcro is semi attached to the cord so it's always being dragged through mud, dust, etc. losing it's holding power completely. I've seen the clamps that are sold at Depot, but it seems like they're very big and bulky. Recently, I saw the HVAC guys using zipties. Hmmm...seems interesting to use and they just snip them every morning. They use the medium strength ones with extension ladders on their racks and the small light duty ones on their cords. At Harbor Freight, I can you can get a 100 pk for 5 or 6 bucks. Just a thought.

Anyways, I figured I'd see what everyone uses for ties. I have about a dozen hoses in various lengths between 25/50/100' and similar lengths in cords, 12 & 14 gauge. Most of them are used daily depending on need so something like throwaway zipties probably wouldn't work as I'd be using 100/week.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I short piece of 1 1/2 or 2" pvs pipe will slip over most tool cords when rolled up and folded in 1/2,
Chain the cords

tie wire wrapped at the male air chuck roll up cord conect ends fold in 1/2 then wrap wire around fold a time or 2

1 - 13 of 13 Posts