Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Interior Remodeling
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a question for my own home. I currently have a 40gallon GE hot water tank thats beginning to go. Ive replaced the elements in it once before and I can see the bottom showing rust. So my question is what do you plumbers suggest as far as brand and type? I would like to have a tankless just for the sake of "endless" hot water.

I live in Pittsburgh PA where sometimes we go through cold spells where temps go below 0 for a short time. My worry is it wont get the water hot enough. Am I right on that? Or should I just settle for a 50 gallon unit? My house has 2 full baths and a 1/2 bath. Just me and the wife right now and our son (18 month old) We usually shower one after the other, 45-60min to allow water to heat back up, Or if one of us takes a long shower the tank seems like it is running out faster.

So what direction should I go considering I have electric only?

·
Future Post Deleter...
1,895 Posts
If the space is there, put in an 80 gallon electric and be done with it.

An electric tankless will be entirely way to much of a hassle and you'll be majorly disappointed.

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
I think they all suck myself. We are on all electric also. I love me a hot hot shower but if you are not the very first one in all you get is warm.:censored: Running an American now that replaced a GE couple years ago. They both suck. 50 gallon heaters.

·
Registered
13 Posts
A high end tankless should work just fine. However for most situations they are not worth the extra funds up front.

As far as a suitable replacement I am 100% Bradford White tanks on my watch. Upping the size with the newer tanks will not make a huge difference, I actually down size one step on replacements where I can. The newer tanks are a bit more efficient and I like to leave some space around them for future repairs and maintenance unlike the builders that built the walls around the originals.....

·
Interior Remodeling
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had heard the electric tankless were not as nice as the gas units. But that wasn't from a plumber. I have the room to upsize for sure to a 50. 80 might be getting a bit tight. As far as some of the newer units being more effiecent what model should I look at. Ferguson is right up the road from my shop and they have the Bradford white units. I just don't know the ins and outs of the units. And the sales guys there are total idiots.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Hey Eric, I have limited knowledge on the tankless units. But from what I've researched for different projects about them and from a couple people I know with them. I would say to stay with a regular tank.

In my opinion, you really don't get your moneys worth out of the tankless units either gas or electric.

Like rex said, if you can fit it go with a big unit.

Dave

·
Future Post Deleter...
1,895 Posts
Eric K said:
I had heard the electric tankless were not as nice as the gas units. But that wasn't from a plumber. I have the room to upsize for sure to a 50. 80 might be getting a bit tight. As far as some of the newer units being more effiecent what model should I look at. Ferguson is right up the road from my shop and they have the Bradford white units. I just don't know the ins and outs of the units. And the sales guys there are total idiots.
Get a 65 tall Bradford. That will fit in close to the same footprint as a 52 electric.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey Eric, I have limited knowledge on the tankless units. But from what I've researched for different projects about them and from a couple people I know with them. I would say to stay with a regular tank.

In my opinion, you really don't get your moneys worth out of the tankless units either gas or electric.

Like rex said, if you can fit it go with a big unit.

Dave

Tankless are great for commercial situations and for laundry rooms, for the home.... they are still a bit high vs. the need.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm having the same issue. I have found that the lack of information on electric tankless only proves that they save you nothing. I can't find any energy guide on ELECTRIC tankless units. Also the only energy calculator I found actually showed my electric bill would be higher by $28 a year. Huh. Right now my bill is $22 a month with my 50 gallon tank electric water heater. Would a tankless be less? I don't think so. Seeing how the manufacturer gives you no information I did the math and it appears my bill would actually more than double! What a savings. The people who love them are using the gas tankless. And I know this because in Michigan I have a separate meter just for my tank water heater. It gives me lower kWh rates. Any thoughts.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Eric, I've installed Bradford Whites & AO Smiths. Love them both.

I heard that they're made by the same parent company. I never researched it, do I don't know for sure.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Tankless gas or go home, Some elec tankless need 2 240v supply, Now i have installed G E hybrid water heaters and have had great feed back, The heat pump takes the heat from the air and warms the water, so the garage, basement, or attic is the best location. My plumber installed one at his house and turned the juice off for the tank all together

1 - 13 of 13 Posts