Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
6,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These are used in Central America countries. Bought it home with me a few years back when we where down there. Was wondering if anyway they can be used in the states here.

Attachments

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,413 Posts
Is it listed?

Reactions: rselectric1

·
Electrical Contractor
244 Posts
I doubt they are listed--- The ones I have seen in South America have a wire coming out of the wall and connect directly to the wires coming out of the unit... Just wirenuts.

My son was in Ecuador and said every time he touch the shower head and the handles he got shocked-- I told him that was an easy fix-- don't touch them at the same time :thumbup:

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I'm sure it's great if you live in a part of the world that has incoming water temp of 80 degrees.

They sell UL listed versions within the US...

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Think I'd take a cold shower before steppin under one of these.

Water and power NO BUENO! :whistling
I supose for some a little shock might be a good wakeup .

#6 awg, like more like #12 to me

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,413 Posts
.......... Water and power NO BUENO! .......

Then ditch your washing machine, the icemaker in your fridge, garbage disposal, electric water heater, hot tub, sump pump, dishwasher and whirlpool.

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
Has a green ground wire what's the big deal?....Hook it to a GFI breaker in the panel and you're good to go.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,413 Posts
GFCI's don't need to be grounded to function.

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
GFCI's don't need to be grounded to function.
But GFI breaker is connected to earth ground in the panel right? at neutral bar which is bonded to cabinet....cabinet is connected to earth ground at least it should be I've seen a few that were not

But I'm guessing if this unit is grounded properly there should not be a problem

We had one of those old jacuzzi motors you pop in your tub and plug into the wall.....no GFCI's in those days

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,413 Posts
But GFI breaker is connected to earth ground in the panel right? at neutral bar which is bonded to cabinet....cabinet is connected to earth ground at least it should be I've seen a few that were not

But I'm guessing if this unit is grounded properly there should not be a problem

We had one of those old jacuzzi motors you pop in your tub and plug into the wall.....no GFCI's in those days

GFI protection does NOT need grounding to function. GFCI breakers are not grounded at all (no breakers are). GFCI receptacles are grounded for overcurrent and overload protection and have nothing to do with GFCI protection.

The connection you refer to is not a ground...... it is a neutral. It is there so the GFCI can monitor the line-neutral current.

Reactions: Irishslave

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
GFI protection does NOT need grounding to function. GFCI breakers are not grounded at all (no breakers are). GFCI receptacles are grounded for overcurrent and overload protection and have nothing to do with GFCI protection.

The connection you refer to is not a ground...... it is a neutral. It is there so the GFCI can monitor the line-neutral current.
So a broken ground can occur at anytime and you'd never know? Forget that shower head then

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,413 Posts
So a broken ground can occur at anytime and you'd never know? Forget that shower head then
Once again......... the ground has NOTHING to do with the function of a GFCI.

NOTHING.

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
If you pour a full gallon bucket into an empty gallon bucket, but the new bucket doesn't end up full, do you have to look at the ground to know there was a leak or spill somewhere?

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
Once again......... the ground has NOTHING to do with the function of a GFCI.

NOTHING.
I get that part I was just fishing for a way to effectively ground a unit like this feeling at least in theory if it's properly grounded it's safe to use

Now if I lose a neutral forget it I ain't gettin anywhere near that shower

1 - 20 of 32 Posts