Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Electric Service Leads and residing a house

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello There, I am planning on residing my house in two weeks. To save money i will be ripping down the old siding myself and tyveking the sheathing, before i have some one come in to nail up the siding. The front of my house is a gable end, and the electrical leads from the pole mount right to the front of my house, and run paralell to the rake boards to the corner then down the front and around the corner to the side where the meter is. What do i do with the lines while removing the siding? how do i secure the leads while there is no siding? I assume the leads are hot? any advice is greatly appreciated. I have attached a photo so you can see the front of the house where it attaches.... Thanks Again

Attachments

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Around my area those leads are usually in a 2" conduit/pipe so we don't have that worry.

My answer: Be very careful ;)
I'd probably remove the anchors that hold the wire to the wall one at a time. I'd remove that siding panel carefully, then temporarily refasten the anchor, before proceeding to the next anchor.

·
Registered
83 Posts
CAUTION
Do not remove the electrical box yourself YES it is hot! Call your electrical supplier and they will come and remove the box from the wall and reinstall it at no charge. As for the wires running up the gable end you should talk to them when the are there and they will tell you the cost of rerouting them. I know this answer is late and the house is most likely sided but just in case another homeowner has a question like this.

·
Contractor
46 Posts
GunnCon said:
CAUTION
Do not remove the electrical box yourself YES it is hot! Call your electrical supplier and they will come and remove the box from the wall and reinstall it at no charge. As for the wires running up the gable end you should talk to them when the are there and they will tell you the cost of rerouting them. I know this answer is late and the house is most likely sided but just in case another homeowner has a question like this.

It's actually different in New Jersey. Here in New Jersey the power company will only come out to change service at the head. If you're upgrading service you have to call an outside electrician to come and install a new meter pan, Power wire, new head, and have it wired to the panel. The power company will only reconnect the meter and the leads at the top of the head. The wire does not have to be in conduit running up the siding to the head. Just make sure you're using applicable materials for your job if you're going to do it yourself. You have to apply for permits before doing anything with power. You also have to have an electrician present or if you're doing it yourself you have to be there in case something has to be done. The power company will not touch anything(of course if you get someone flexible they'll do it, but not supposed to)

If the homeowner is not comfortable touching electric service then you have to have an electrician come and do it. Just be careful there are certain Height restrictions the wire has to be from the pole to street and it changes some as you get closer to the house.

If anyone is thinking of upgrading service don't buy the meter pan from the local electrical supply. When you apply for your application to upgrade service the power company will give one to you free along with the ancor hook for installation in your home.

I know some of this is a little off subject. but figured I'd add to it to further help.

I thought I already posted to this thread when it was originally posted.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts