Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a client she is having some problems in the kitchen when she use the microwave and the toaster at the same time the braker trip off how can i troubleshoot this please help me :)

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
union said:
i have a client she is having some problems in the kitchen when she use the microwave and the toaster at the same time the braker trip off how can i troubleshoot this please help me :)
If the breaker in question is rated at 15 amps then both appliances probably can't be used simultaneously on that same circuit. What is the breaker's rating in amps - 15 or 20? See if you can find the power consumption info for the appliances (it would be in watts or kilowats) on a tag on the appliance or in an owner's manual. What is it?

my microwave is rated at 1.48 kilowatts and my toaster is rated at 1400 watts. Both ratings consider a supply voltage of 120 volts. Together they represent a load of 2880 watts or about 24 amps. They can't run together on a 15 amp breaker.

·
Contractor
46 Posts
If you're lucky it might be just that easy. When you check the breaker and the wiring is at least 12 guage then you might just be able to upgrade the breaker. If not then either install a new outlet or move the toaster to a different circuit. I'm guessing that there's more then just a microwave and toaster on the same circuit. Perhaps the circuit is always providing power to another area of the kitchen or another room. Ask your client if it just started happening. Also, if they just bought a new appliance because it might have a higher wattage rating then the old one. Is the breaker at the panel tripping or is it a ground fault interupt circuit tripping.

You can easily figure out how much a circuit load is needed by figuring how much wattage the appliances or items need then divide that by the voltage(in this case it's 120v) and that will give you the amps needed to run those items at the same time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts