Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I desperately need 2 electric die grinders urgently. I have run through all the brands several times to compare rpm/amps/price. Pretty much all were similar except the ones I really wanted were bosch - way over priced. I still would like to go with bosch but just cant justify that price. The others I have gone over are metabo (never owned a metabo tool so am not sure about them - but both die grinders have adjustable rpm ranges), makita and dewalt (good price on the dewalt for 2 of them). Milwaukee just wasnt worth the money with the lack of features they were offering. I normally use air die grinders in the shop but when I go onsite its a pain to lug the air compressor and then have it kick on every 5 mins cuz the die grinders use so much air to power them. I have to go back to a site next week and polish the 30ft custom railing I built and corded die grinders are the only way this will work especially since they will be running for about 2 hours with very little rest.

Anyone using or used electric die grinders? Or have any input on the metabo ones. That might be the one I will probably go with just want to know if they are an industrial quality tool. Heard good things about metabos disc grinders.

Thanks

·
The Grand Wazoo
3,973 Posts
I desperately need 2 electric die grinders urgently. I have run through all the brands several times to compare rpm/amps/price. Pretty much all were similar except the ones I really wanted were bosch - way over priced. I still would like to go with bosch but just cant justify that price. The others I have gone over are metabo (never owned a metabo tool so am not sure about them - but both die grinders have adjustable rpm ranges), makita and dewalt (good price on the dewalt for 2 of them). Milwaukee just wasnt worth the money with the lack of features they were offering. I normally use air die grinders in the shop but when I go onsite its a pain to lug the air compressor and then have it kick on every 5 mins cuz the die grinders use so much air to power them. I have to go back to a site next week and polish the 30ft custom railing I built and corded die grinders are the only way this will work especially since they will be running for about 2 hours with very little rest.

Anyone using or used electric die grinders? Or have any input on the metabo ones. That might be the one I will probably go with just want to know if they are an industrial quality tool. Heard good things about metabos disc grinders.

Thanks
How can you judge a tool not worth the price without ever trying the tool? Is there some special skillset involved in declaring something you have never held in your hand as being overpriced?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Over 450 bucks for a die grinder is not worth it to me...thats especially when I didnt try it. Not saying Bosch is a bad tool, I own 8 bosch grinders. But when all the other brands are generally within a 50 dollar price difference with adjustable rpms hard to go with the one that isnt adjustable for over 100 bucks more. Metabo seems more reasonable but need some input about that company. Every companys website starts off by saying how they are the industry leader in tools and are simply the best which is simply not true.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Hit up the auctions in your area. A lot of metal shops going out of business right now and you can pick up grinders pretty dang cheap. The good old ones made to last in an industrial setting.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Never judge a tool by specs or features!

Metabo has a very good rep for angle grinders, I would hope they would have a pretty solid die-grinder. I do not own any die-grinders so my opinion is pretty weak in this department.

·
Working
4,127 Posts
I have a metal fab background, why don't you have a truck mounted compressor? We had a truck setup for mobile. We could site build almost anything. Rollers and an iron worker were about the only thing we didn't have.

I would get the one you want even if it is more money.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I never went that route with mounting a compressor. I have 3 in the shop with diff types of filters on them for whatever I would be doing but never drag one with me. Usually I can get by on site with an angle grinder and a knotted brush wheel or knotted brush cup. Thats usually when I need to clean up the steel and usually results in a coat of primer and paint after. This case the guy wants the steel polished and if you saw the design you would see why the die grinder is the best bet to fit in those tight spots. The only time I have a compressor in the truck is if its for construction/remodeling...mainly for framing/trim nailers. They dont use air constantly and when the compressor kicks on its not for long. The only air tool that is killing me right now are the air die grinders. They use so much air and I use them most of the day. But in the shop it doesnt bother me much cuz Im not going for a full polish, just cleaning up joints before or after welding.

Metabo will most likely be the best choice. Ive always heard good things about the angle grinders so hope they carried that into the die grinders.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have a couple of DeWalts & they seem to hold up well, no issues. They are used in some real rough enviornments & I have no problems. We also use a lot of Metabo grinders & they too work very well, so I don't think either would be a bad choice.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks. Metabo sound pretty good, just no place local where I can actually go see these tools. Trying to do everything online sucks since I dont know what the tool feels like until its in my hands. Its not just the price or brand the feel is very important. Some tools have a good feel and then there are those that you can tell feel cheap. I might just put them all on my credit card and pick which one I want and pay to ship the others back.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts