Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For years I have used vinyl trim on my egress windows (retrofit/not new construction). It is just so expensive... Almost $40 to trim a 4'x4' slider. I hate the look of coil stock. Does anyone have any ideas? Pics please!

Product Cage

·
Love me some Concrete
1,834 Posts
I use PVC trim, for a 4' x 3' window its usually $120ish. The reason I use PVC is because the homeowner almost never caulks and keeps up on the trim, its below grade and could have rot problems let alone water issues if not done right. Egress windows are expensive to install, I have only had a couple people bawk about the price, I explain the amount of labor, expense of concrete cutting tools and the totally of the job. I have got every egress window I have bid and will never use an inferior material to save a few bucks, just not worth it to me. I have learned that when a homeowner wants to save a few bucks by "digging the hole" themselves, I will still up charge because I have had to dig bigger or deeper everytime, LOL.

·
General Contractor
8,111 Posts
For years I have used vinyl trim on my egress windows (retrofit/not new construction). It is just so expensive... Almost $40 to trim a 4'x4' slider. I hate the look of coil stock. Does anyone have any ideas? Pics please!

View attachment 110314
Why would you look and change something that performs well and there is no issues or call backs?

$40 dollars is the best money you can spend for a long lasting material, not to mention a good night sleep:thumbsup:

·
Love me some Concrete
1,834 Posts
No ladder needed, i left enough of the block top exposed on each lift to make basic steps. Inspector said it was acceptable, said ladder was not needed because of that, he liked the idea and that way there is no ugly ladder.

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
brhokel606 said:
No ladder needed, i left enough of the block top exposed on each lift to make basic steps. Inspector said it was acceptable, said ladder was not needed because of that, he liked the idea and that way there is no ugly ladder.
Wow. Wish my inspector liked all of my "ideas"!

·
Love me some Concrete
1,834 Posts
The city inspector owned a construction business for 20+ years before becoming one of the city inspectors. He still does work on the side and I've had him work on my jobs with me, so he knows my work and trusts me....Is pretty nice and I am fortunate. Good friend of mine too

1 - 13 of 13 Posts