Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are just now starting to get into EFIS work. Does anyone here recommend a certain type of material? We are doing re-surfacing projects.

Also is brick and mortar caulking the best to use with EFIS materials?

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
EFIS is synthetic stucco. An acrylic exterior primer, acrylic top coat are recommended.
Mick.... Just curiosity.... I helped one customer with an EIFS issue, many years back, and a special elastomeric was called out.... don't remember the name/source.

(That was the extent of my experience, and of course, the product may have changed also.)

Just curious....

Best

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
You better start calling it EIFS, not EFIS, first, or people will figure out you don't know anything about it.

As far as I'm aware, Dryvit's the best-known manufacturer.

There's a long history of EIFS failures from the past, probably having as much to do with poor application techniques as with the materials, and the EIFS vendors are very clear about their stuff being complete systems; if possible you want to identify the original maker and use their paints, caulks, adhesives, etc. Generic brick and mortar materials are a mistake, as you'll be SOL when the lawyers come calling.

·
Registered
11 Posts
EIFS - Exterior Insulation and Finish System

I agree that Dryvit is established as the prime manufacturer of this material, and they produce a comprehensive assortment of base coats and substate support products. Their product is also available in colors. You are correct that warranties on this material can be compromised if alternative materials are utilized. I was basically addressing painting EIFS which has faded over time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts