Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind of offers have worked well for you to increase response to advertisements?

Warranty upgrade?

Financing?

Free accessory?

I don't like using discount offers; I think it attracts people that expect you to be cheap.

"Free Estimate" is so worn out that it doesn’t mean anything, the words might as be invisible.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Deferred Interest Financing

P.S. Financing is available, you can get deferred interest for up to 12 months, monthly payment required, subject to approval by GE Money Bank. Offer Expires 11-30-09

How well do you thnk that will work?

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Free SureStart Plus 5 Star Warranty Upgrade

If you want extra protection get the SureStart Plus 5 Star warranty from CertainTeed. You can rest assured, knowing your SureStart Plus 5 Star warranty covers workmanship & materials 100% for 20 years.

The SureStart Plus 5 Star warranty is provided by CertainTeed, a company that's been around for over 100 years. With this warranty you won't pay a penny out of your pocket if something- ANYTHING- goes wrong with your roof. You would normally have to pay hundreds of dollars for this warranty. Call by 11-30-09 and you can get it for free.

What do you think of that offer?

·
Banned
556 Posts
P.S. Financing is available, you can get deferred interest for up to 12 months, monthly payment required, subject to approval by GE Money Bank. Offer Expires 11-30-09

How well do you thnk that will work?
i would leave out "subject to approval". could scare some potential customers who have somewhat shakey but approvebale(is this a word?) credit.
"you can get deferred interest". i would just say No payments for up to 12 months.
they all mean the same thing but sometimes its how you say it.

·
Banned
556 Posts
Is that the way you word it?

Or do you say something like “Your payment could be as low as $150 per month”?
No,i never use figures. what happens if someone wanted payments under 150,i would be pricing myself out of a market.

"Our Very low monthly payment program" sends a good message.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i would leave out "subject to approval". could scare some potential customers who have somewhat shakey but approvebale(is this a word?) credit.
"you can get deferred interest". i would just say No payments for up to 12 months.
they all mean the same thing but sometimes its how you say it.
Some plans require a payment right from the start. I have a “no payment for 3 months” plan available.

According to GE changes in the law will not allow “no payment” plans in 2010.

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
MEL, the company we have our financing through seems to be not financing too many projects this year. Funny part of that is I recieved a letter saying they are going to cancel us unless we finance through them more. They have turned down 1 out of 7 people this year. Not very helpful.

We are also able to offer a warranty through the manufacturer, many companies our size can not do that around here. That is one huge bonus of being a certified contractor through any manufacturer. People might feel uneasy about a warranty because it does not mean anything if you go out of business but they tend to believe manufacturers will be in business forever. My preferred manufacturer is GAF since they merged with ELK. When I tell people they have been in business since 1886 (although not always making shingles that whole time as I recently learned) it makes them feel more confident.

Offering a low monthly payment is dangerous if you ask me. What if something leaks and they completly hold out on you even if its not your fault but they think it is. What if they just quit paying? Now you will need to eat labor and materials.

I think it is best if you get financing through a company. We work with Enerbank. They deal with the homeowner getting the correct information, if they are approved homeowner is sent a check with out company name on it as soon as we finish the job after a few more pieces of paper being signed then the money is available the next business day.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
MEL, the company we have our financing through seems to be not financing too many projects this year. Funny part of that is I recieved a letter saying they are going to cancel us unless we finance through them more. They have turned down 1 out of 7 people this year. Not very helpful.

Offering a low monthly payment is dangerous if you ask me. What if something leaks and they completly hold out on you even if its not your fault but they think it is. What if they just quit paying? Now you will need to eat labor and materials.

I think it is best if you get financing through a company. We work with Enerbank. They deal with the homeowner getting the correct information, if they are approved homeowner is sent a check with out company name on it as soon as we finish the job after a few more pieces of paper being signed then the money is available the next business day.
My financing is through GE Money Bank.

If the customer wants to finance I call in the application over the phone and get them approved within minutes.

When I am done with the job they sign a form and I fax it to GE.

GE will deposit the money in my bank account within a couple days.

·
bathroom guru
1,348 Posts
I am planning ahead to next July when our glorious government changes our tax system.

Right now we have 2 taxes:

Provincial sales tax of 8% (payable on materials)
Federal sales tax of 5% (payable on everything)

Come next July we will have a blended 13% tax payable on everything.

While I don't like discounts either, I am thinking we will be doing something to help "offset" some of the tax increase.

Damn government!!

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Competitors Offers

I searched the internet for offers my competitors are making.

Here are a few:

10% off, We’ll beat any price.

25% Off

Free Insulation on any complete roofing job

180 Days same as cash

O% Financing, You receive $100 if we don’t beat your best deal

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Visualization Service

NEW, FREE, Virtual Roofing System. Magically, using specialized software, I will put the roof you want, into a photo of your home. You’ll see what your new roof will look like BEFORE it’s installed. You’ll be amazed how easy it’ll be to pick just the right style and color for your home.

The first picture below has the product inserted into the photo.

Attachments

·
Registered
967 Posts
How many squares per bundle?:laughing:
Looks good need to work on the scale.
Why do people have such a hard time picking colors?

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
How many squares per bundle?:laughing:
Looks good need to work on the scale.
Why do people have such a hard time picking colors?
I think the Grand Manor is 5 bndl per square.

I have found that the software is easier to work with if the original photo is taken relatively close. The scale is hard to get accurate.

It’s not about being hard to pick a color, it’s about generating some interest and building desire for a new look.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Money Back Guarantee

Another competitor is offering a Money Back Guarantee.

“If you’re not happy with your new roof I’ll give you your money back.”

Get our price and get 4 free tickets to a water park.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have been thinking about putting pictures with description and price on website , what do you guys think? it would be somthing like this:
(Picture of a shower with 4x4 travertine tile) Custom built shower pan, installation of shower valve and hardibacker, install 4x4 travertine tiles. Dimension: 3x7 + 3x7 Shower floor 3x3 $ 1300.00-1499.00
Do you think something like this would work, business has been so very slow and I m trying to get something in.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts