Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear All,
I will like to have you relate with me on any documented and practically researched work on how to mitigate the effect of saltwater on concrete and reinforcement bars.

Thanks!

Emmanuel

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I think that you need to explain more about the nature of the project that you are working on, and supply more details.
Welcome

·
Registered
407 Posts
only thing I know about this subject is this:
Out here on houses or buildings very close to the Pacific, the "salt air" or sea spray, will get down into concrete and cause the rebar inside to rust. The rust expands and causes the concrete to break apart. I have to repair these sorts of things occasionally.

What you sometimes see used on oceanfront houses are rebars coated with epoxy. How effective the epoxy rods are I don't know :)

Dave

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
only thing I know about this subject is this:
Out here on houses or buildings very close to the Pacific, the "salt air" or sea spray, will get down into concrete and cause the rebar inside to rust. The rust expands and causes the concrete to break apart. I have to repair these sorts of things occasionally.

What you sometimes see used on oceanfront houses are rebars coated with epoxy. How effective the epoxy rods are I don't know :)

Dave
Impress current cathodic protection is another way of dealing with this.

·
Project Superintendent
2,525 Posts
Epoxy rebar is used pretty exclusively in bridge construction in freeze areas. Protects against corrosion from the salt treatments used to keep roads clear in the winter. It seems to be pretty effective and durable.

·
Project Superintendent
2,525 Posts
This is why most specs do not allow calcium chloride to be used in reinforced concrete for freeze protection.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Epoxy coated is not the perfect material. Needs extra care in placement. Chip the coating and it needs to be touched up. (Rarely done)
If you ask me galvanized rebar is the way to go.

I agree with both of your points of view,epoxy is not the end all be all,galvanized re bar probably is the better alternative. For those interested,page #5 may be helpful.

http://ntl.bts.gov/data/epoxy.pdf

1 - 11 of 11 Posts