Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im new to owning a business I have started a part time landscaping business. Now has anyone used a local VO-Tech for Landscaping/horticulture courses? How was it? I would also like to learn to put in ponds and hardscapes. Where can I learn these skills?

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Probably best learning from working for someone else. You could offer to work for free in exchange for the education. Probably the most valuable education you'll receive if that's the line of work you enjoy.

I wish I did that 25 yrs ago.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is true. I don't know if I could afford to do that though. I currently work on a ambulance. I work 3 long shifts a week this allows me to work for myself the rest of the week. Landscapers work is usually unsteady over the winter. Unless I worked for one like one day a week. (idk that someone would hire me for that) But I mean if I wanted to learn to install ponds there must be somewhere who will teach it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No I completely understand where your coming from. Ill give it a try. You don't think its a conflict of interest if he knows I already own a landscaping business. I mean anyone near me will know who I am.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Maybe with some who are more Insecure - just my opinion.

You never know. If you prove to be really good, you may end up working together, yet still be independent businesses. Anything is possible.

I think I'm more "friendly" when it come to business than I should be. I've read the Art of War. But, when it comes to business, I'm not a soldier by any stretch. They say nice guys finish last. I did get the short end of the stick a few times. But, all things considered, I never phucked anyone over and I sleep with a clear conscience.

Another option is to read the "How To's" books and work for the cost of the materials only: you gain experience, customers get the work done for low cost. You just need to explain everything will and nut deceive anyone.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Im new to owning a business I have started a part time landscaping business. Now has anyone used a local VO-Tech for Landscaping/horticulture courses? How was it? I would also like to learn to put in ponds and hardscapes. Where can I learn these skills?
I haven't, but have several friends with successful landscaping businesses ( not lawn care ) that did. School will put you ahead of the curve, and it's not easy to find a good company to work for that will actually teach you something. You finding a company willing to train for free is nil...they are more likely to use you like a rented mule, not an aspiring professional.

At least with school courses you will get a decent base knowledge that you have something to compare when you start getting your hands dirty for real.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.