Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been wanting to increase my knowledge of the industry as well as prep for SC General Contractors Exam, does anyone recommend a course or site to get solid education in building?

·
Kowboy
2,277 Posts
Aonthegreat:

Nobody's going to pass the Florida Builder's License Exam without taking the in-person classes; SC may be different.

I just took an online 3-hour class to keep my Michigan license. It was interesting and had some good tips, especially business ideas.

Shop around and read some testimonials.

Joe

·
Chris
260 Posts
Not sure how useful any classes are going to be. I have my SC builders license. I took a week long course back in 2000 at Trident Tech. It was called "SC builders exam prep". It should have been called "how to tab exam approved books". It was useless.

Maybe someone else has a better resource.

If you have been working for a licensed contractor for the required amount of time, have all exam approved books, know how to find the information efficiently in the books, and tab said books... you will have no problem passing the exam. If you are not prepared and know nothing of codes, business managment, and estimating materials... you will fail.

The test is designed that if you have to look up everything then you will run out of time.

It honestly is not hard at all. Good Luck

·
Kowboy
2,277 Posts
Powerwash:

Then there's a world of difference between Florida's test and SC's.

I have 30 years experience in construction and a 3.67 college GPA from 2011, and there's no way I would have passed the Florida exam without the "how to look it up" class that cost $1,200.00.

Joe

·
Chris
260 Posts
Powerwash:

Then there's a world of difference between Florida's test and SC's.

I have 30 years experience in construction and a 3.67 college GPA from 2011, and there's no way I would have passed the Florida exam without the "how to look it up" class that cost $1,200.00.

Joe
I re-read the OP. If you guys are talking about the G.C. Builders Test in SC (commercial) then yes I have heard that test is VERY difficult.

But, the residential builders test in SC is not difficult (if you are a qualified).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts