Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our glass patio table blew over this winter and is kaput...

I have some leftover 5/4"x6"x6' cedar I'll make a replacement top out of.

Rather than gap the boards like a sensible person does with deck furniture I got to thinking of gluing up a panel out of them and making a proper table top, then spar varnish.

more of an experiment than anything, I wonder how long the joints will stay put.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Epoxy or TBII or TBIII should hold the joints. But a wide top that's only 5/4 has a decent chance of having warping/twisting/expansion problems across the full top. Do the experiment; let us know.

·
Registered
Remodel
31,141 Posts
The glue may outlast the table top. You're going to have to seal all sides of it, of course. I'm assuming you're going to leave the edges beveled when you glue up, so you don't have to plane the whole thing...

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I will. nothing too fancy. I usually glue panels in a few sections then run em through the 13" planer. that way i just have a couple joints to hand plane.

for the warping i'll rip a couple boards in half and make an apron. Maybe even a few ribs in between. I'll take a few pics and post the results, don't hold your breath... it may be a few weeks.

·
Trees are Cool
195 Posts
Each board will warp. So as you lay out the boards alternate the grain so they counteract each other. I think the leaving the V groove will give a spot for water and debris to accumulate.

Put slats but leave room for the top to expand or contract.

I am assuming this will be an outdoor table.

Spar varnish is great, till it breaks through then it is a pain and will not look good. I think use some type of oil that gets reapplied each year. Much better maintenance.

An way you go I would like to see.

·
Box Builder
6,320 Posts
Is the cedar flat sawn or cvg? Flat sawn, alternate the heart side to prevent cupping. You don't want v grooves. Be careful using epoxy, it will really soak into the wood sometimes and can't be sanded out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts