1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Vendor
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Been around
1,151 Posts
It's nice to have some background and proportion as a reference for builds where such a detail is appreciated and desired.

Even in the $500K - $1.5M houses in my area, such a perspective is completely absent. I am not sure even over that mark where the detail would be.

Steep sloped and shingled cornice returns are the norm, but so is aluminum trim covering a 2x6 and 1x2.

"K" style gutters and aluminum trim have contributed to the near extinction of the mentioned return detail. Combined with more than a generation of tradesman, builders and architects not having to consider the detail, it has been completely removed from the mainstream.

·
General Contractor
8,051 Posts
It's nice to have some background and proportion as a reference for builds where such a detail is appreciated and desired.

Even in the $500K - $1.5M houses in my area, such a perspective is completely absent. I am not sure even over that mark where the detail would be.

Steep sloped and shingled cornice returns are the norm, but so is aluminum trim covering a 2x6 and 1x2.

"K" style gutters and aluminum trim have contributed to the near extinction of the mentioned return detail. Combined with more than a generation of tradesman, builders and architects not having to consider the detail, it has been completely removed from the mainstream.
Couldn't agree more with you... but as sad this might sound, now days 500k-1.5m Home is not considered to be a custom build home, where someone would pay a carpenter or even an architect to design such details. Now if you take 3-5m Home I can see a client would pay the architect to add such details.

·
Super Moderator
10,605 Posts
That is a great article. About halfway through it started to feel like an advertisement for BuildCalc and Festool though.

Many of the larger homes that we work on have a lot of gables. While some of those details would certainly be nice, the cost is sure to be the biggest issue. It would be nice to see them done on the front facade at least.

·
Registered
Remodel
29,649 Posts

This had me smiling - I don't know of any new houses being designed like old ones. The only thing I know for sure is the "backyard chicken" people (many affluent and living in town) around here will pay a lot for a fancy chicken "house".

I only repair these types of details - I'll be looking at making custom moldings over the winter for repairs next spring.

·
Registered
Remodel
29,649 Posts
That is a great article. About halfway through it started to feel like an advertisement for BuildCalc and Festool though.
Not really a surprise, is it?

Following "Get Your House Right" can actually lead you astray sometimes, but this isn't one of those cases. It's good, but it isn't the last word.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Good article. Lacking some key components IMO.

1. The balance between overhang and return in this neck of the woods is not equal, more like 2/3 return 1/3 overhang.

2. Gutters. Houses need gutters and to think the form out weighs function is not the way to go.

The quality of lumber- i.e. pine used as casings, facia, ect. is not like it used to be. 200 year homes have no or limited rot damage on sills, bases of casings where they hit the sill. Now look at 10- 20 year houses same locations. Rot is the norm hence the push for composites and yes overall preventing with gutter systems.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts