Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 219 Posts

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a hard time stopping for lunch. It ruins my flow and afterwards I can't get motivated again. Sometimes I load the truck with a few boxes of Cliff bars or something similar but they're usually fairly bland so I wind up drinking coffee for energy. It's not unusual for me to work 12 hours with no food intake.

What's everyone else doing about lunch? What snacks do you keep around for the desperate times?

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
I've lightened up over the years. We stop for lunch now and I/we usually leave the job site.
For a snack or on those days I don't stop, I keep a box of Quaker granola bars in the truck. Peanut butter and chocolate chip. I don't know about energy, but they have calories and taste good.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I keep a few protein bars in the truck just in case a lunch break isn't feisable.

If I eat a big lunch I feel like a nap in the afternoon.

Reactions: hdavis

·
Registered
Remodel
31,092 Posts
I have a hard time stopping for lunch. It ruins my flow and afterwards I can't get motivated again. Sometimes I load the truck with a few boxes of Cliff bars or something similar but they're usually fairly bland so I wind up drinking coffee for energy. It's not unusual for me to work 12 hours with no food intake.

What's everyone else doing about lunch? What snacks do you keep around for the desperate times?
Not having at least a snack every 2 hours can make you more prone to an accident. IIRC, accidents happen around 10AM. I'll bring Pop Tarts, breakfast bars, donuts, pretty much carb stuff. Have a QUICK snack and maybe do a little clean up at the same time.

·
Finishing Carpenter
1,332 Posts
These days I generally just work through, take a bit of a sandwich every 1/2 hr or so beginning around 10ish.

I find it's that 2pm low blood sugar time that gets me - that's when I make the dumb mistakes. I know that now, so I schedule some brain dead task so that I don't go backwards. Yesterday I caulked/filled crown from 2-3. By then the afternoon coffee kicked in and it was ramming speed LOL

HO comes to me at 4pm and says "you have to stop now" damn! I was planning another two hours. OK, well he's the client, so I stop at 4. Get into my truck to go home, client says "where are you going?" I says "home" he says nooooooo follow me to my condo up the street, I need an estimate on crown there " allrighty then! :D

I don't like losing working hours, but if it's a potential to get more work, then heck ya!

I just discovered there's no bread in the house this morning, so it's gonna be a quick run to starbucks for a tuna melt and a coffee. Hey it's Friday! my self-employed imaginary pay day!!

·
Registered
797 Posts
I always try to put something green in my lunch or at least, something super full of vitamins. A hand full of spinach, a salad, some grilled zucchini, or a thermos of carrot juice. I feel pretty good at the end of the day and I attribute that to the food.

·
Registered
Remodel
31,092 Posts
What to eat, how much to eat, and when to eat is pretty personal, and even can vary for a given person. I didn't used to have a sag after a big lunch, but now I do, so I adjusted.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Note to self: never have lunch with Reg.
Oh, c'mon CarpenterSFO. :laughing: I would know not to pack you a tuna quesadilla!

Honestly, I have a sugar addiction. I notice the days when I am munching on what ever sugary snack I brought, I feel much more bogged down. My work day is directly related to my food choices.

·
Lazy Millennial
Carpenter
4,024 Posts
I usually skip lunch. I probably should eat something, I can't imagine it's particularly healthy to go without.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
797 Posts
Bring a Smoker or a BBQ to the job & EVERYONE will stop for lunch.
I used to work at this great cabinet shop. We had BBQ Thursdays. The guys were all hunters so we ate good food like elk steaks or deer burgers. It was always something to look forward to during the week.

He also had a permanent keg and would let the workers drink from 4:30 to 5:00 as long as they were not on any machines. I don't drink beer but I loved how he did that for the guys. It was a really a cool place that way.

·
Head Light Bulb Changer
847 Posts
Bring a Smoker or a BBQ to the job & EVERYONE will stop for lunch.
I used to do that all the time when I was doing new work on weekends. The subdivision would look empty until I fired it up, and then people would come out of the woodwork.

·
New York City
289 Posts
I often skip lunch, and usually regret it.
I try to keep rice cakes, peanut butter, mixed nuts and fruits,maybe a banana around. mostly stuff I can eat while driving.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,604 Posts
I've lightened up over the years. We stop for lunch now and I/we usually leave the job site.
For a snack or on those days I don't stop, I keep a box of Quaker granola bars in the truck. Peanut butter and chocolate chip. I don't know about energy, but they have calories and taste good.
I use to take about 3 minutes to stuff a sandwich in my face. Over the years I've learned to appreciate the small break in the middle of the day Lunch is from 10-4 during the middle of the day. Usually about 1/2 hour. When I'm hungry it's lunchtime. Or sometimes I want to get something done before the break. This is especially true for me when I am spraying finish or gluing parts. It gives time for it to do it's thing while I have lunch and when I'm done, it's ready for the next operation.

1 - 20 of 219 Posts