Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Deck & Porch Builder
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm sure some of you already do this but just in case this an easy option to offer at a reasonable price. It's just a full 1" thick x 11" pvc although I may start going wider ripping out of sheets. Provides a nice over flow area for dining, drinking or can even be used near a grill for stationing

Attachments

·
Thom
4,137 Posts
That looks to me like an obvious place for someone to sit their ass on the edge and break it.

·
Deck & Porch Builder
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Well it's not butt proof thats for sure but if used for its intended purpose it's not a problem.. It's not for potted plants either. It's kind of like gates in that they're not intended to be a ride for little boys but I've seen them utilized for such.

I suppose you could stencil a picture with butt in a circle with a line thru it on the bar top but I just make sure customers know

I've not had any problems and I've been doing them for years the first one being on a project that was featured in "This Old House Magazines" May 2008 issue.

·
Deck & Porch Builder
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Marty,

On some rails just changing the flat 2x4 to a 2x6 in the area the cap will be is all thats needed. We just screw it down and where the joints are we take a flat Simpson plate (don't know official name) and run screws from underneath to keep joints even or separating.

With Fortress we order the flange attachment and mioubnt a 2x6 to it and then the cap. With aluminum I order it with a 3" flange welded on.

We let it float over the deck and the outer edsge just lines up with any other caps you're using.

Bobby

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Very classy. What kind of adhesive did you use for the seams (Powergrab)?
Steve

I'm sure some of you already do this but just in case this an easy option to offer at a reasonable price. It's just a full 1" thick x 11" pvc although I may start going wider ripping out of sheets. Provides a nice over flow area for dining, drinking or can even be used near a grill for stationing

·
Deck & Porch Builder
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello Steve and thanks.

We've mostly used the Azek type of pvc glue but we have used another adhesive.

What you suggest sounds good and I assume it's worked well for you? Would be easier out of a tube for sure and thanks for mentioning it.

Bobby

1 - 8 of 8 Posts