Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to do an estimate on prepping and painting an exterior wall for a large 16' x 16' sign to be mounted there.... I have no problem with this part at all, however there is a chimney next to where the sign will be mounted.... I'm going to repaint this the same as the wall..... Problem is, about 4' up from ground level is a hole about 5" that goes clear through the orange liner.... What do I need to do to seal this ??

TIA
KJ :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Was hoping I could figure a way to fill/patch the hole safely.... There is a wood stove in the basement they use hooked up to this.... I agree and would never paint masonry however, it was painted long before I got to see it..... Thank You for your reply.....

KJ

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I'd say a firebrick cut to fit with a tight joint on the inside with block or brick (not firebrick) to match the exterior. If Steel isn't a problem, tooth out the area where the hole is so you don't have a cold joint all the way through. Clean all paint away from the hole. Use common sense. There's a whole lot of liability involved on your part.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good point on the liability.... Will stop by there and see if I can square it up to get a firebrick in there.... It's located in the middle of the face and not on the sides nearer the structure..... I even thought it might be a great spot for a clean-out door??

Thanks For Replying,
KJ

·
Jeff
1,485 Posts
So you say they have an active wood stove hooked up to this chimney? I wouldnt try to fix it yourself, get a mason in thats gonna be covered if something goes wrong. What if you think you have it sealed bees swarm in there on a cool night because the masonry is still warm from the sun, build a nest, homeowner fires woodstove up in the fall and they die of carbon monoxide becuase the flues partly blocked. Sounds far fetched but ive seen big bee's nests blocking a chimney. Local fire dept actually had a chimney fire last week from a women trying to burn bees out of her chimney. :eek:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts