Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Trailer park boy
4,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awesome. I've only ever done one tile demo without bleeding. :laughing:
Me too, and this was it.

Although I pulled a tile from pretty low on the wall in one section and half of the walls worth of tiles came down on me. That could have drawn a drop or two...

·
Boondockian
1,478 Posts
I had a demo a few years back that came off that easy. Only the drywall came with the tile. (Leaky tub surround)

·
Registered
732 Posts
Wish the last one I did was like that. I was considering dynamite for a while. Shower and all the walls 4 feet up, all mortar and wire lathe. Floor lathe was integrated right into the walls. Great as a tornado shelter I suppose, but it was brutal tearing it out.

·
Trailer park boy
4,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wish the last one I did was like that. I was considering dynamite for a while. Shower and all the walls 4 feet up, all mortar and wire lathe. Floor lathe was integrated right into the walls. Great as a tornado shelter I suppose, but it was brutal tearing it out.
I still have the mud base to deal with on this one. If it is anything like the walls it should break into four pieces and I'll carry it right out.:no:

·
Trailer park boy
4,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have had a few floors with the 1" mosaics come off like that. Amazing that the floors were in as good a shape as they were.
I can't believe they were using this thing, I'm not joking at all when I say the fact it was floor to ceiling tile and the grout were the only thing keeping these tiles up. It was like pre grouted panels of tile.:laughing: The plywood the tiles were glued directly to looked in remarkably good shape too.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
I still have the mud base to deal with on this one. If it is anything like the walls it should break into four pieces and I'll carry it right out.:no:
Or maybe you can just vacume it up.....:clap:

Curiosity.... was that wall tile thinsetted, or something else.... I can see it was very lite, whatever it was.

·
Trailer park boy
4,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Or maybe you can just vacume it up.....:clap:

Curiosity.... was that wall tile thinsetted, or something else.... I can see it was very lite, whatever it was.
It reminded me of really old, brittle construction adhesive. Beats the nails type stuff. It looks like it was applied with a 1/8 v groove trowel.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
I did some demo at a retail store in a mall last year. We went in to salvage as much as we could for a charity. They had 24x24 tiles on half the walls. I started on a column in the center of the store. Popped one tile from one side the the entire 14ft of tile on the other side came crashing down. I was surprised it never came down with people in the store

1 - 20 of 20 Posts