Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, was hoping for some plumbing insight on my house I'm in the process of building. I've attached the layout of the master bath and was wondering if this would work/meet code/be the best way to do things. My main waste runs parallel with the basement wall directly below shower, so I thought would be easiest to run my 3" waste from the toilet, pick up the Lav waste from there, followed by the tub then the shower. If I ran a 2" vent stack for the lav, does that also serve as the vent for toilet since it's within 5' of each other? Also would the 3" stack at the end of the run serve as a "wet vent" of the tub and shower? Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Attachments

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
6,066 Posts
OK, I'm not a plumber, but I play one from time to time. Hopefully The Killer or one of the others will be by soon, but from what I can see in your layout, if I'm reading it correctly, you would have a code violation, because the vent from the lav would be an illegal wet vent attempt.

My understanding of wet-venting a bathroom group would be to place the vent on the upslope end, above the toilet. Is that possible?

Delta

·
The Grand Wazoo
3,973 Posts
It's going to depend on what code your area uses, that would not fly here at all, you can't wet vent anything here. Even in areas that allow wet venting I don't think that will be approved, based on DFU's.

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
6,066 Posts
It's going to depend on what code your area uses, that would not fly here at all, you can't wet vent anything here. Even in areas that allow wet venting I don't think that will be approved, based on DFU's.
No Pex. No wet vents.

Does Chicago have it's own code, or one of the model codes with amendments?

Delta

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. I certainly can put a vent on the upslope of the toilet if needed. Would I just run a 2" vent pipe, 2" to 3" reducer coupling, and use a 3" waste Tee and continue to my run down slope and pick up rest of the drains? Is there any concerns/violations with starting a horizontal run with the toilet being on the highest point of it? I've attached another layout, hopefully it looks better. If I'm following you correctly, I should in be able to combine tub and shower vent together and run it up then over the main stack as long as the tub(most uphill) is closest to the actual vent?

Attachments

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
6,066 Posts
It's hard to answer that question, bacause I don't know where you are, or what code you use.

I heard once that Minnesota has a code requirement about placement of a toilet in relation to the other drains. The CPC, for example, does not have the exact same requirements.

You best bet, if you want to do this work yourself, is find out what code you use, what code cycle you're on, and read the chapter on vents. :thumbsup:

Delta

·
Registered
819 Posts
in my area your original design would pass...use a Y for the lav connection, and use a double Y for the lavs (no tee's)

if your in WI your right on the money

what you drew is a circuit vent....everything is vented through the lavs....if you added 1 more fixture you would need a relief vent, but as drawn it works...i use the exact same thing all the time

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Hey all, was hoping for some plumbing insight on my house I'm in the process of building. I've attached the layout of the master bath and was wondering if this would work/meet code/be the best way to do things. My main waste runs parallel with the basement wall directly below shower, so I thought would be easiest to run my 3" waste from the toilet, pick up the Lav waste from there, followed by the tub then the shower. If I ran a 2" vent stack for the lav, does that also serve as the vent for toilet since it's within 5' of each other? Also would the 3" stack at the end of the run serve as a "wet vent" of the tub and shower? Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

SECTION 909 WET VENTING

909.1 Horizontal wet vent permitted.

Any combination of fixtures within two bathroom groups located on the same floor level is permitted to be vented by a horizontal wet vent. The wet vent shall be considered the vent for the fixtures and shall extend from the connection of the dry vent along the direction of the flow in the drain pipe to the most downstream fixture drain connection to the horizontal branch drain. Each wet-vented fixture drain shall connect independently to the horizontal wet vent. Only the fixtures within the bathroom groups shall connect to the wet-vented horizontal branch drain. Any additional fixtures shall discharge downstream of the horizontal wet vent.

909.2 Dry vent connection.

The required dry-vent connection for wet-vented systems shall comply with Sections 909.2.1 and 909.2.2.

909.2.1 Horizontal wet vent.

The dry-vent connection for a horizontal wet-vent system shall be an individual vent or a common vent for any bathroom group fixture, except an emergency floor drain. Where the dry-vent connects to a water closet fixture drain, the drain shall connect horizontally to the horizontal wet-vent system. Not more than one wet-vented fixture drain shall discharge upstream of the dry-vented fixture drain connection.

I believe this is still current IRC... your jurisdiction could be UPC (believe no wet venting) and some jurisdictions love to amend the venting codes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts