Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
General Contractor
8,083 Posts
Not heard anything about this product so that's either a good thing or a bad thing. Looks like a great idea but im seeing some issues.

Got a customer who was curious about it but im not seeing nothing online about it.
I heard about LockDry which is watertight aluminum decking. I never seen one in composite. I think what you got there got the same concept more or less.

There is so much s^*t out there, I don't know anymore whats good and whats not... I been telling my customers go with wood and screw everything else :laughing:

·
Artist and not a curator
14,333 Posts
I was reading some guys blog a year or so ago and he showed something similar that was broken into pieces where people commonly walked and it got lots of traffic. The thing he showed was a set of stairs. It crumbled like toast, I think it was 3 or 4 years old when it did this.

Supposedly had something to do with the hollow core collecting moisture and the top being dry then getting baked drawing moisture up. Concept is okay but with all the proven products its going to take some time before there's room in the market for anything "new" in my opinion.

·
GC/carpenter
43,956 Posts
Here's a pic after I tore it off and reframed a lot of it. It was extremely crumbly to the point that it was unsafe.
I'm actually working on this job right now. It's funny because I really didn't know what it was then you posted something similar. Just be careful with anything that doesn't have a track record. At least the big players of late seem to have managed to get through some hurdles and have learned from the mistakes.
Stairs Wood Plant Roof Porch

·
Premium Member
Retired deck builder
6,391 Posts
Kinda looks like Nexwood, a failed product made in Canada. I would stay away from any of the hollow products like that. Geodeck also made a decking for shedding water, a T&G decking that you sloped the deck like a concrete patio. It too failed & crumbled like the product that Mike descriped above.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
6 yr old thread. Any more experience with the stuff? I have a client with a 12x20 boathouse that would like something similar.....

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Products that don't provide a way for the water to drain off I'd stay away from as they are due to fail at some point.

Mike, Calidecks has done several with a Trex product. I'd check with him for what he used to be sure.
It looks like that product would require the area to be pitched somewhat, since they rely on a tongue and groove type assembly.

·
Premium Member
Retired deck builder
6,391 Posts
It looks like that product would require the area to be pitched somewhat, since they rely on a tongue and groove type assembly.
Yes, you would expect the decking to run perpendicular to the house, it was not in that pic. Geodeck was a T&G board and it failed miserably.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts