Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best method of removing as much dust from walls, trim and floors as I can from an old house that had new drywall placed over old plaster. The owner wants to have the 100 year old hardwood floors refinished and I want to make sure I get all the dust up before I do the refinishing

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
I'm sure there is professional equipment for this kind of thing but I would do a pass with my shop with the exhaust vented outside(good filter, of course) and then do a follow up with my Miele vac. A good canister vac with a clean bag can pick up almost all the dust.

A wipedown with a tack cloth or a damp rag would be an extra step if you need it.

·
Pro
2,138 Posts
rstarre said:
What is the best method of removing as much dust from walls, trim and floors as I can from an old house that had new drywall placed over old plaster. The owner wants to have the 100 year old hardwood floors refinished and I want to make sure I get all the dust up before I do the refinishing
???

Why all the dust?

Before refinishing?

The floor refinisher is gonna generate a bunch of dust of his own.

Wouldn't worry about a sterile environment before the floor refinisher comes in but don't be a pig about it, either.

Eh,

Shop vac and swiffers.

Too tired to be sarcastic tonight...

Sterilize away.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Floors are last typically.. so the drywall should be painted first i would think.. so no dusk coming off those. (well, trim last but why quibble) Vacuum the floor and start sanding. He''ll suck up the rest of the drywall dusk when he sucks up the saw dust.

·
Drywall Slave
9,441 Posts
Are you the Boss? You shop-Vac the floors! As far as the walls...
That sounds like prep for paint! Call the painters!!:laughing:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts