Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Time for me to consider dust collection options for circular saws. I need to replace some damaged hardwood under a planter (only 6-10 boards). Vaulted ceiling, so zip walls out. Any suggestions? My saw is basic Makita. Thanks.

(Edit: Could this be my reason to take the track saw plunge?)

·
Registered
11,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes. You will wonder how you have functioned without it for so long.
I see what you mean. I've been reading about them for the last 15 minutes since I OP'd. Geez. Feel like I missed something basic.

Know anything about the Makita SP6000?

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
Walk On Wood said:
Go with the Festool TS55REQ.. You won't be disappointed
Doing hardwood repairs with the TS55 is so much better. You won't use a circular for it again because there is no dust and no clean up from dust. Another vote for festool

*edit* wrong person quoted...

·
Registered
11,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, I'm in the market for the TS55REQ. I have until next week...psyched. Are their dealer prices controlled/standard?

·
Registered
810 Posts
The Festool is about as close to dustless as it gets. That said, I almost never have mine with me. Thankfully I have one of the old Porter Cable saws with the little chute at the top you can rotate 90 degrees and hook to a collector. It's no Festool, but it catches the lightest stuff that makes such a godawful mess.

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
I see what you mean. I've been reading about them for the last 15 minutes since I OP'd. Geez. Feel like I missed something basic.

Know anything about the Makita SP6000?
That is what I have. I love it. I am sure the Festie is cool but all the reviews I have read over and over say they are so close that you will not be disappointed will either one.

There are threads on here talking about Makita's tracks not flat but mine are fine as are others. At the same time Festool did recall their track saw. For what, I am unsure. Point is Festool is not without it's flaws.

If your looking for a full system will vacs, sanders, saws, all compatible with each other then I would recommend the Festie.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have the Makita as well. Never used the TS55 so a comparison is out of the question here. That said, I don't miss the riving knife the TS55 has (I think??). Dust collection is fantastic, cut quality is second to none, plunge action is great...etc. Buy one, you'll love it.

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
That is what I have. I love it. I am sure the Festie is cool but all the reviews I have read over and over say they are so close that you will not be disappointed will either one.

There are threads on here talking about Makita's tracks not flat but mine are fine as are others. At the same time Festool did recall their track saw. For what, I am unsure. Point is Festool is not without it's flaws.

If your looking for a full system will vacs, sanders, saws, all compatible with each other then I would recommend the Festie.
I got Festool cause of the system. We do almost exclusively remodeling in occupied houses. Dust extraction is awesome and it all goes in the trailer quite nicely. I've never been this organized... :laughing:

Never tried the Makita I'm sure it's a great saw though.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Dont laugh it works this is my deticated tearout saw. This is for cutting glued and nailed underlayment into little squares.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dont laugh it works this is my deticated tearout saw. This is for cutting glued and nailed underlayment into little squares.
:laughing:I was thinking along those lines yesterday. Even considered using the saw in a box with a clear top....and supplemental LED lighting (somehow).

Side note: Yesterday another contractor told me a Festool story. His buddy had his Sprinter broken into a couple years ago. They left the Festool stuff but cleaned him out of everything else. He figured they didn't know what it was.

·
Head Light Bulb Changer
847 Posts
:thumbsup:Awesome!:thumbsup:

I use an older Porter Cable with the exhaust tube (like ccoffer) connected to a Fein vac. Works decent.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Laugh? If it works and is less dust for the homeowners furniture and for you to clean up it's just smart innovation , now how bout one for a table saw and miter saw ?

·
Hair Splitter
18,333 Posts
Two shop vacs running behind and in front of the cut works pretty well, but I have a few extra Skil Circs laying around that I am going to build a shell for.

I can't justify the TS55REQ just yet, still need to pick up a CT26.

·
Hair Splitter
18,333 Posts
Risk of derailing...

I can not believe no one threw a hissy fit over the blade guard being taped up :laughing:
I almost said something as a joke. None of my table saws have all of their factory safety equipment in place.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts