Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finish spraying a exterior of a house with Duration flat, and the whole house flashed out on me. Never had that happen before. I have sprayed 5 or 6 house this year using Duration satin and never had a problem. This should have been the easiest job I had all year just a re paint, siding really didn't even need painting. It look worse now then before I started. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem this year or just an isolated issue?:mad:

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Nope. Get a paint rep out to look at the job. You may get reimbursed for the cost of the paint if its a bad batch.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Might be caused by an overly porous surface, crappy builders paint, try second coating a section see what happens.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nope. Get a paint rep out to look at the job. You may get reimbursed for the cost of the paint if its a bad batch.
I called my rep, he gave me free paint to do it again, and I had the same problem. I am up to 20 gallons of free paint to cover some of my labor. We quit today until they figure out what's wrong with that paint.
It went to there lab to get tested.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
The times I saw blotchyness was when I applied gloss oil over wide wood trim too late in the day and it looked like crap the next morning. The sheen was all over the place, shiny here dull there. I think we're describing the same appearance even tho I was using alkyd semi-gloss and you were using latex. Flashing = blotchyness.

If the same thing happened after getting new paint, then that is kinda weird.

As the paint store manager, I would have looked to see if your second failure was from the same paint batch. You might want to ask that of somebody.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Did you power wash the house before you sprayed it out?
Cause what maybe happening is the old finish is counter acting the new paint. You may need a primer to seal it all in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts