Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Baby Sitter for Grown Men
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe some of you have had success with a long lasting exterior wood stair tread. I haven't yet.

I have a southern exposure stair. Rain/direct sun

I've used PT treads of several varieties.
2"x10" PT (stained) but these usually split, seemingly when they dry out from the sun rain combination.

Last set, I made a capped stringer (so the end grains of the treads would not be exposed) then dried (pre-shrunk) some 2"x6" PT for treads.
Then stained them.
The idea in using 2-2"x6" is that it would make a nice big tread, and the 2 narrower treads together would take care of the -big split- that usually happens on a larger tread.

Used s/s fasteners, but other than lasting a tiny bit longer, they still cracked like crazy. The outer tread should really be replaced, simply for safety.

Other than getting some heavy precast concrete treads, has anyone had any kind of success with a heavily weathered exterior stair tread?

Capping the stringers seems to have helped them from -triangle splitting- a little better.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

·
Registered
Remodel
32,244 Posts
Uncontrolled wetting and drying causes PT to crack and degrade, especially with full sun exposure. ABout the best you can do is coat them with something like porch paint once a year.

·
Designer/Contractor
5,654 Posts
Also have concerns about dust and cost of the product itself but it might have benefits that would make it worthwhile to consider in certain applications, always interesting to see what's out there.

·
Artist and not a curator
14,866 Posts
You can't make PT last. It does however make a nice fire.

I normally can't stand when Rob makes one of his blanket statements about wood but in this case, if its just pt wood... Then *Gulp* he's right.

(That was me swallowing some nasty tasting pride)

·
Registered
Custom cabinetry
9,178 Posts
You can't make PT last. It does however make a nice fire.

I normally can't stand when Rob makes one of his blanket statements about wood but in this case, if its just pt wood... Then *Gulp* he's right.

(That was me swallowing some nasty tasting pride)
I typically clarify my statements with slightly more detail. I often address that PT is garbage nearly everywhere, and that most every other wood struggles in my environment. I'm not saying that I never make the blanket statements, but I do my best to not make generalizing statements that I can't back up.

·
John Hyatt
3,658 Posts
The PT we now use has a doubtful life span far as bugs and mildew/ rot goes exposed to the ground , like in it. That can be fixed with copper green to the point it will give service like the ol CCA would.

Exposed to the Sun the PT yellow pine used over here will split , crack , and generally through a fit like a 2 year old no matter if it's been kiln dried twice or not. However if it's not exposed to the Sun directly, say a shaded area, the results are much different. I have been surprised many times by a PT deck installed under a lot of big trees that has held up really well.

But generally speaking it's better to not use it laying flat to the Sun.

JonMon www.deckmastersllc.com

" The Man who says it can't be done should not hinder the Man doing it." Brian D Jackson.

·
Artist and not a curator
14,866 Posts
The PT we now use has a doubtful life span far as bugs and mildew/ rot goes exposed to the ground , like in it. That can be fixed with copper green to the point it will give service like the ol CCA would.

Exposed to the Sun the PT yellow pine used over here will split , crack , and generally through a fit like a 2 year old no matter if it's been kiln dried twice or not. However if it's not exposed to the Sun directly, say a shaded area, the results are much different. I have been surprised many times by a PT deck installed under a lot of big trees that has held up really well.

But generally speaking it's better to not use it laying flat to the Sun.

JonMon www.deckmastersllc.com

" The Man who says it can't be done should not hinder the Man doing it." Brian D Jackson.
You talking MCQ or ACQ?

1 - 20 of 119 Posts