Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to install laminate floors in my basement. The floor is cement. I went to HD yesterday and they sell Pergo, Shaw and Dupont. HD is having a 20% off all laminate floors until 1/19.

Dupont is the most expensive, but they have a padding attached to the back of each board which according to the Dupont call center eliminates the need for addtional padding. A vapor barrier is still needed.

Has anyone used or heard anything about Dupont laminate floors?

I've read on this forum that I should apply 2 coats of concrete sealer after I have totally cleaned the concrete.

Should I place additional padding anyway?
Any other tips?

Anyone know of an installer on Long Island, NY?

·
Registered
163 Posts
I prefer on-attached cusions with laminates. I'm not positive about Dupont's but usually you get an inferior pad when it's included. I prefer a heavier padding. Cork and rubberized make good underlayment materials for floating floors. Quieter and longer-lasting.

Don

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I have installed some DuPont but not much, given the name I would expect a good product.
I'm the one that expounds on sealing the concrete. I live in So. FL where you can't dig a hole 3 ft. deep without hitting water. Most of the state is only a few feet above sealevel and we get over 50 ins. of rain a year. Last Sept. we got 40+ ins. in a month. This is why I advocate sealing slabs here. Your situation may be different.
As to underlay/vapor barrior, I like Armstrong's 2 in 1 when used flooring with the underlay attached. The 1/4" stuff is a bit much.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for all your help and advice. I really appreciat it. :) I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Two underlayments

Can you put an underlayment down in addition to the pre attached stuff? I thought Dupont told me not too. I would like the added cushion.:thumbup:

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
Do not add an additional padding, that is the reason I do not like the attached pad. You cannot upgrade pad.
Use a 6 mil poly first for moisture.

Dupont has better grade than the one you bought at home depot, but, the quality is still good.

·
General Contractor
548 Posts
I installed one of these recently and was told additional underlayment was not needed. I suppose you could add it though.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I do it all of the time. What is the argument?

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
what is the argument for installing additional pad?

well, it could be too soft and add stress on the joints.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts