Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's a large trash collector here in Minnesota, Waste Management. I'm not sure if they are only local here or not. But they have a new service they offer, you can go to home depot and similar stores and buy large bags for pretty cheap. You fill them up (I think they hold a yard or two) and then they come with a crane truck and pick them up. I believe they charge by weight for pickup fees. Just curious if anyone's used a similar service.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,208 Posts
WM is huge; they're everywhere. The bags can generally only be filled to capacity if you stack stuff in them very neatly, and when all is said and done they don't cost much less at all than a rolloff. Not worth it for anyone I've talked to.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
I've heard plenty of horror stories about pickup from them too. They are apparently very picky about where you place the bags.

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
They can be convenient but the main complaint is them delaying pickup or finding a reason why it wasn't picked up. The other issue is the sides fall down. They are amazingly strong. I personally have never had an issue with them.

They don't charge by weight to my knowledge. They say the straps have to meet but I've seen them picked up where the straps didn't meet the guy just chained the straps together. One thing I have heard is you can't leave them too long on asphalt because it will start to deteriorate. They have also seen them picked up way off the end of the driveway probably over 50 feet without the truck entering the driveway.

You can go to their website and get pricing, availability based on zip code. They run about $35 for the bag and about $100 for pickup in this area. If you need one for an extended period of they are great if you need more than one consider a rolloff.

·
Registered
669 Posts
They cost about $39 for the bag, then $ 150 to $180 to pick up at the street side. Can fit about a very Large pick-up load in them! BUT boy do ya see them out! Harry Homeowner loves them!

·
Trees are Cool
195 Posts
I bought one of the bags. It fits perfectly in my Transit and I use it to protect my stuff from the junk. It makes it easy to clean out the van and it looks like it may be good for a pickup as well

·
Registered
Custom cabinetry
9,178 Posts
Wow, you guys are getting ripped on those things. I've probably used 5 over the course of 3 years because they fit a nitch that we don't do much. It's $30 for the bag and $70 for the pickup. If course a 30yd is only $325 so that's usually our choice.

·
Head Light Bulb Changer
847 Posts
They suck. If it's not sitting curb-side for easy pick up or it's 'over filled', you won't get it picked up. They won't go on driveways for pick up, so it has to sit out front. How many HO's want to look at THAT sitting in their front yard? IIRC, they run about $175 here (bag and pick up). I can get a 12yd can for 30 days for $250.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lots of people with experience, thanks. So is it a flat fee for pickup that just varies by location? I have a few smaller jobs I'd like to do at my parents house that don't require a roll off, was hoping it might be an alright option.

·
Registered
24 Posts
There's a large trash collector here in Minnesota, Waste Management. I'm not sure if they are only local here or not. But they have a new service they offer, you can go to home depot and similar stores and buy large bags for pretty cheap. You fill them up (I think they hold a yard or two) and then they come with a crane truck and pick them up. I believe they charge by weight for pickup fees. Just curious if anyone's used a similar service.
I have used this service on a roofing job.

The roof was sloped and in the center was a large flat roof. Apartment complex so you couldn't just toss the waste off the building. Because of potentially hitting a car/pedestrian and etc. So just toss all the waste into the garbage bags on the flat roof. When all the bags were full the crane came with 4 hooks attached to the end and I directed the crane connecting the hooks to the bag and then the crane operator brings down the bags from 40 ft up and takes them away.

Great service!

·
Registered
358 Posts
I've used them a few times for smaller jobs... But they're way too expensive.

I paid $150 for pickup and $30 for the bag... For what amounted to about ten cans of mixed debris.

Around here I can get a 12 yard bin for $350 and keep it as long as I like... I've considered having one dropped at my house and using it for several small jobs.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
If all your waste fits in a "bagster" it should fit nicely in a few trash bags.

·
Registered
11,543 Posts
There's a weight limit (forget how much), and the boom is set to it.

I saw a bagster full of empty moving boxes...not broken down. And we have county pick-up for that stuff, too. Dumb.

·
Registered
Custom cabinetry
9,178 Posts
If all your waste fits in a "bagster" it should fit nicely in a few trash bags.
And you could spend more in labor cutting up a bunch of 2x4s so they fit in the trash bags... and then you still have to take them somewhere.

If your pickup fees are low then they probably beat a dump run by the time you factor fuel and time. I can't take a load to the dump for less by the time I add gas and time.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I use them when a customer doesn't want a roll off on the job and it will fit the "requirements" of the customer. Simply pass the cost on to them.

Around here, it's $105 for the pickup, and they have always done it within 2 days of contact, so I'm very happy with their service. Of course, I prefer a roll off but sometimes "the customer is always right" has us using the fabulous "Bagster" product.

For where to put it, they state on the plastic bag the Bagster comes in what the limits and locations for pickup are, and they haven't been a problem for me......yet. Just watch, within 3 weeks, Mr. "Murphy" will surely visit me because I just said that.

·
Repair & Renovation
3,257 Posts
For a 20 yard dumpster by me it's about 500-600 bucks give or take. And you only get 3 tons depending on vendor.. which is not cheap. Plus about 1-2 weeks of use.

For a bagster it's $175 for the first bag and about $145 for additional bags. Plus the cost of the bag. I can usually find a 5 $ coupon. So when all said and done I can get the first bag for about 205$ and the 2nd for 175$

The bagster holds 3000 pounds and I probably filled them up to that without issue. So if your pricing based on tonnage the bagster is actually cheaper for me. By volume it is of course more expensive.

Many times they pickup the next day after I pay for it. And they pick it up even if it's filled up over the top, no problem. Nice drivers too. I just make sure I cone off some space for the truck to get in so a car does not block it.

My prices will be way different than yours. My prices will more than likely be higher than yours due to my county not having a dump and all waste needs to go to transfer stations.

Reactions: jamestrd
1 - 20 of 41 Posts