Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy a dump trailer. Wondering from people who have them and which brands they like. Looking for maybe a 6x10 bed. Also, for those who have them in MA, where did you buy and what special regulations are there for use.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have looked on Craigslist. The used prices are not that far off from new ones. Seems like everyone I see on the Vineyard is a Downeaster.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have a 6x10 and I absolutely love it! I use it way more than I thought I would and I don't know how I ever lived without it.

That being said, if I had to do it over again, I would buy a bigger one - maybe a 6x12. I usually use my trailer for demo and landscaping and an extra couple of feet would mean fewer trips. Also, with my trailer, 10 feet is actually 9'11" so 10 footers have to go on the diagonal.

If you think you need a dump trailer and you can afford one, you should buy it. I've never heard of anyone who regretted their purchase. And around here, used dump trailers go for about 80-90% the cost of new so you can always sell if circumstances change.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
I have three of them. Ditto on the power down the one we have like that sucks. Also go bigger we have two 7x12 and a 7x14. Cant imagine anything smaller. You want to make sure you are always above your minimum dump charge.

Only time we dont use them now is any roofing job that would require more than one trailer load. In that case a 30 yard can is cheaper

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
jlsconstruction said:
I used a gravity down for a few years and I couldn't imagine going back now that I have power down.
Till your jump box craps out!

·
pro
850 Posts
I have a 7x14 with a 14k GVWR. Thing has changed my life.

In my opinion buying a used dump is kind of a gamble. Most dumps are often overloaded often just never know how they have been treated.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I have a couple power up/power down trailers. I added a heavy battery style cable to them, and the same cable running to the truck's battery (with connector at the hitch). I never haver a power loss issue.

Also-I echo getting a larger trailer than you think you need!

·
Registered
56 Posts
I do not have a dump trailer, so I cannot answer that part of your question. But as far as the requirements in MA, the only ones I'm aware of are the same for any trailer over 3k gvwr (which your dump will be).

You'll need an inspection sticker every year. There is a list of stations that do them on the MassDot website, but I'd call ahead because some of them list that they do trailers but do not.

If you buy new you'll have no trouble, but they check obvious things like lights, electric brakes, safety chains, and that the breakaway for the electric brakes is functioning.

You will also need chock blocks and cones or triangles (but they may not actually check for those).

I think that's all you need. You may already know all of this if you have another trailer.

Most of the info can be found here I think:
http://www.vehicletest.state.ma.us/commercial.html

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I do not have a dump trailer, so I cannot answer that part of your question. But as far as the requirements in MA, the only ones I'm aware of are the same for any trailer over 3k gvwr (which your dump will be).

You'll need an inspection sticker every year. There is a list of stations that do them on the MassDot website, but I'd call ahead because some of them list that they do trailers but do not.

If you buy new you'll have no trouble, but they check obvious things like lights, electric brakes, safety chains, and that the breakaway for the electric brakes is functioning.

You will also need chock blocks and cones or triangles (but they may not actually check for those).

I think that's all you need. You may already know all of this if you have another trailer.

Most of the info can be found here I think:
http://www.vehicletest.state.ma.us/commercial.html
Very helpful info. Thanks. I do not have a trailer now but was aware of some of those inspections. I found some good options at some trailer super store in PA. Looks like around $6500 for a good one. A good chunk of change but I can get a lot more use out of it than just trash runs. I do a lot of built ins and a trailer can help make one delivery trip out of a bigger job.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
If you buy used, I would recommend seeing it actually dump a load before buying it. I don't have a dump trailer. A friend has one that I can use anytime. I don't use it. It is a 14'. It doesn't go high enough for sand to slide out of the bed. You have to get up in the bed and shovel it down. I have talked to several people about them and nobody has ever heard of this before. The trailer is a "Bloomfield" brand.
Everydody who has one thinks they are the greatest thing. I just know that paticular trailer doesn't raise to a high enough angle. It was new when he bought it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
We bought a 16' Load Trail about 6 months ago. We love that trailer. We looked at several different brands and finally settled on the Load Trail. Out of everything we looked at, the Load Trail, in my opinion was built the best. As stated above, check the dump angles, some do not dump very well. Also, I would make sure to get a tarp with it. In our area they are starting to fine guys for not having loads tarped.

·
Registered
551 Posts
For what its worth...
In 04' I had my brand new dump trailer stolen from a fixer. (full of trash and locked)
Home insurance wouldn't cover it, was on the street.
Auto wouldn't cover it, I didn't have plates. (plates nor required in OR)
Took a total loss on it, cops said there was a ring of trailer thieves that take them out of state and sell them on CL.
So don't get caught sleeping like me.
Now I roll dump truck....

1 - 20 of 33 Posts