Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it up to code to run /metal ductwork over electrical boxes (lights) in the attic?

·
Super Moderator
11,965 Posts
If by "over" you mean in front of, where they are no longer accesible, then no.

Need more info. If it's new construction, the HVAC rough should have been complete way before the electricians were invited in.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This was not nc. The duct work is going from the near one end of the house from the heating unit toward the other end. I recently had to go up there and deal with a rodent odor from the ceiling. I think this is the squirrel I posted about in another thread. I had to reach under the duct work and pull the insulation out and make sure the light fixture was tight against the ceiling to try and deal with the odor (urine).
This unit was installed about 10 years ago. This the first time I have had to deal with the squirrels if that is what it is. The droppings look like mice/rats, but I have no idea what squirrel droppings look like.

That being said, I have only myself to blame for not finishing the siding I installed this summer.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Sorry to gring this back up, but I just happen to see it still in my mail box.
I mean the duct work is over the boxesin ..3 rooms I guess. I have to reach under the duct work to get to the boxes. Not sure this would be considered accessible. Serously, there is no room to actually work on them.

Can I go back on the company that installed it after all these years?

They also left romex hanging under 12" slab with no attachments going from the box to the ac unit ouside. The wires for the thermostat and contactor (I think) are also unprotected from the house to the unit outside. Talking about the 12 volt doorbell like wire. Dog got i nto it once and he had to come back and fixthem. I think he taped them. I need to look at that again. He said something about 50 charge or something. I ****ing blew up! He said he was joking, but that would be the charge for something like this ordinarily. Easy to understand why they do not go through TVA. I did not go through anyone or anything but my bank account.

The same company did another house for me up the street and I have one concern about that one too, but will ask later.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That makes sense. I was wondering why they had to be accessible from the backside. Now I see they don't.

I still donot see why they left the small wires that go the pressure switch and stat exposed like that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts